Secondary DPM Server backing up primary DPM Server SQL data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a dpm server setup that works fine backing up several production servers.  I have set up a secondary dpm server to backup the primary server offsite. Everything is working onsite fine except for the primary servers DB files. From what I understand, these files will be needed for recovery if the primary site went down. The error I get when I try and back them up is "

"DPM cannot run a backup/recovery job on DPM.xxx because it is owned by the DPM serverdpm.xxx (ID 3107)"

The recommended action is to take ownership of the files, but this doesn't seem right as it would cause the jobs to fail on the primary server I would have thought. The SQL files were originally backed up as a job on the primary server, but I removed this job and deleted the backup replicas. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to backup these files on the seconday dpm server?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:04 PM

Answers

• It seems like you're trying to backup the DPMDB both on the primary DPM-server (probably to tape?) and on the secondary DPM-server. But I don't think that's supported.... So stop the protection of the DPMDB on the primary DPM-server and claim ownership from the secondary DPM-server.
    • Marked as answer by Tim Pugh Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:00 PM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:55 AM
  • PowerToTheUsers is correct, if you have local protection enabled on the Primary DPM server, the secondary server cannot protect the same resources.  I would simply configure the secondary DPM server to protect the Primary DPM Severs DB and Visa versa.
    Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hi TIm,

i am not clear on situation, do you have active protection on the primary dpm servers SQL db? if no then you should take owenership of the datasource.

regards,

Alex

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:59 PM
  • It seems like you're trying to backup the DPMDB both on the primary DPM-server (probably to tape?) and on the secondary DPM-server. But I don't think that's supported.... So stop the protection of the DPMDB on the primary DPM-server and claim ownership from the secondary DPM-server.
    • Marked as answer by Tim Pugh Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:00 PM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:55 AM
  • PowerToTheUsers is correct, if you have local protection enabled on the Primary DPM server, the secondary server cannot protect the same resources.  I would simply configure the secondary DPM server to protect the Primary DPM Severs DB and Visa versa.
    Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:33 PM