Windows 7- Desktop icons moving/shifting on shut down RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I recently bought a new PC. Dell Laptop Inspiron with Windows 7 Home Premium and Intel i5 processor.

Whenever I shut down my PC, I see that a particular row of icons will shift up by one row. All other icons (which I've arranged myself) stay put for the most part.

All of my "Right Click -> Sort By" options are unticked. My "Right Click -> View -> Auto Arrange Icons" option is unticked. I've ensured that Windows Themes do NOT have an impact on desktop icons by going to Right Click -> Personalize -> Change Desktop Icons -> unticked Allow Themes to Change Desktop Icons. Nothing worked.

I have also tried to do the registry change with the NoSaveSettings as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSaveSettings"=hex(3):00,00,00,00

I have merged it with registry, restarted, and saw those same icons shift up again. I tried to delete the registry key and restarted, and still have the same problems. I have even tried changing the registry key value of the NoSaveSettings from 0 to 1. No dice.

I have also tried to change up the resolution settings a couple times on the off chance that it would work. No luck.

The one thing that DOES work for me is if I DISABLE "Align Icons to Grid." However, I would really like to have a more permanent fix as I like having my icons in customized locations on the desktop and I would rather not have to constantly disable "Align Icons to Grid" prior to each shut down so my icon locations are memorized. I have not had this problem with Vista or XP or Windows 98 as far as I can remember, and I've always had customized icon locations (My PC/Recycling Bin, etc on top left, MS Office and music players on bottom left, important file folders on bottom right, and current files that I'm working on in the top right hand corner of the desktop screen).

I have looked high and low for a fix and have yet to find something better than unticking "Align Icons..." constantly. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

• Edited by msitachi88 Monday, October 10, 2011 9:08 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 9:06 PM

All replies

• PS-

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but there are times where it seems like my entire screen resizes or changes resolution by just a tad.

Icons stay in the same location for the most part, but the gaps between icons tighten up slightly, probably closing the gap by a few millimeters. Icons near the top and bottom of the screen come closer to their edges as well. When this is "undone," the gaps widen up to normal levels and there isn't so much "icon crowding." That isn't the big issue at all, but I suspect that has some impact on a select few of my icons shifting up an entire row. 

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:35 AM