Nvidia 6600GT driver problem RRS feed

• Question

• The only way to boot to the Vista desktop in normal mode is for me to uninstall the video card drivers in safe mode and  restart. I have downloaded the newest drivers from Nvidia and they do not work to solve the issue either. I am running AMD 3500+ with 2gig ram and 2 6600GTs in SLI mode. The driver appears to be problematic. The default driver from Microsoft allows the desktop to run normally.
    Saturday, June 10, 2006 11:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi;

I think you'll find that NVIDIA will go through several iterations of their drivers before Vista ships, so it's not surprising that you're having issues. Keep checking the page http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_nforce_vista_x86_beta2.html for their updates...

Sunday, June 11, 2006 1:02 PM
  •  davwhite5xq7 wrote:
    The only way to boot to the Vista desktop in normal mode is for me to uninstall the video card drivers in safe mode and restart. I have downloaded the newest drivers from Nvidia and they do not work to solve the issue either. I am running AMD 3500+ with 2gig ram and 2 6600GTs in SLI mode. The driver appears to be problematic. The default driver from Microsoft allows the desktop to run normally.

Thats amazing I have the exact same rig, except I have had no problems at all with respect to the NVidia drivers.  Who is the manuf. of your video cards?  Mine are Leadtek, not sure how much of a difference that would make though.  Here is a quick rundown of my rig for comparrison purposes.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    MSI NEO 4 Platinum SLI Motherboard
    2 Gig ( 2 x 1024MB stick ) Geil 400MHz DDR
    2 x 80 Gig SATA Segate HDs ( Raid 0 )
    2 x LeadTek 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCIe ( in SLI )
    550 Wt. Emerex PSU
    2 x optical drives ( one DVD rom, one DLDVD Burner )

I did have a problem with my sound card not installing correctly and also my HP scanner is not supported, the new user account control system keeps it from installing properly.  Why HP would need to modify any system files to install a scanner is beyond me, but I digress.  I ended up having to reload Win XP because this is my primary home computer and I kinda need my scanner.  However I still have Vista on another computer and it is humming away happily :). Sadly NVIDIA has not enabled SLI in their Vista drivers yet so I cannot tell how it is working yet.

**Note** The rig detailed above is running the 64 Bit version of Vista. And please forgive any misspellings, MS Word has ruined me.
    Monday, June 19, 2006 4:11 PM
  • My system is as follows:

Abit Fatal1ty AN8SLI

AMD 3500+

2 Gig Ram (Kingmax DDR500 4X512mb)

2 MSI 6600GT video cards in SLI

2 Seagate 120GB sata drives ( 1 running XP, 1 for Vista)

2  optical drives (combo cdrw/dvd and dvd burner both Sony)

Thermaltake TVW 500W power supply

Have reloaded Vista and still the video drivers do not work. Tough being me some days. If you find an answer, please drop me a line.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:43 AM
  • i think its a problem with he msi cards becuase im having the same problem with my sli 6600s with the same board. do you have the first version with the little heatsink or the newer?
    Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:14 AM
  • I have 2 ASUS versions of the 6600GT PCI-E cards in an ASUS A8N-SLI board. Vista only recognizes one of the boards and does not support SLI mode. I have to set the BIOS to a single card to get the Vista operating systems' VGA section to work correctly. The WDDM driver for my board does work correctly and allows DVD's to run etc. The lack of SLI support caused me to elect to remove the beta from that system and but it on one with more compatible hardware which was a good choice. Since Vista is installed as an image and is not HAL dependent all hardware supported presently by the OS will be found...normally!

Best regards,

Lee Nelson

Friday, June 30, 2006 8:49 AM
  • if you boot to safe mode and disable one of the cards you can boot dual boot xp with sli and vista without
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 1:11 AM
  • same thing I have  msi 6600gts and I can run the desk top ok but as soon as I go gaming. crash crash. I loaded there my driver and after a hours or so I got the computer 2 run stable but any window I opened (even divice manager) It opend the window on the side of my screen like I had 2 screens going at one time so after about 20 hours I have had 2 give up and go back to the xp 64 bit.

I contacted nvida and they assured me that they would be on target for the 1st of the year launch lol.

A note If I coud just get the driver for the cards that would be great! but right now it will not install at all and work

3500 64 bit

2 gigs ram

msi 660 dual gts

Saturday, July 1, 2006 3:30 AM
  • Hey there,

Thanks...yes I did that for a day or two and got tired of messing in the BIOS. In this beta form Vista is a bit of a resource hog with the OS and graphics demands being higher by a bit than XP (at least it feels that way in a sense. I have notice the browser is sorta touchy, especially after adding Java but this is off topic). Anyway, I opened up a game just for drill with one card and with the extra beta resource demands, the system was just not up the task.....so I will wait to test Vista on the SLI box at a later date. I am a caregiver and upgrades are not an option for me. The 6600GT's and the slower two PCI-E channels (8x-8x) with the mobo I have will have to do for now. It performs well enough in XP MCE2005 so I will wait for one of the later releases if one becomes available.

Best regards,

Lee Nelson

PS The GT's I got were the ASUS limited edition versions..they made 5000 of them supposedly. I got them when they were still expensive but less than the 6800GT or 6800Ultra's that were out then. They will far exceed their default memory and GPU clock speeds but I have just left them at stock clock. Increasing their clocks did not really help their perfomance according to nTune results. Mileage may vary for others.

Saturday, July 1, 2006 5:29 AM
  • What version drivers are you using,  Nvidia had a  version 88.61 on thier site that was not compatible with the RC1, check last friday and they had updated on 9/1 a 99.xx version that did install and worked correctly until I started WOW and saw all the Texture tearing, worst than the MDM drivers that come with RC1

Glenn
    Tuesday, September 5, 2006 6:20 PM
  • I too am having trouble even with the most up to date nvidia drivers for my pny 6600GT 256MB card.  Does anyone know about how often beta driver updates are released by nvidia?
    Wednesday, September 6, 2006 11:06 PM
  • Have no idea if they will even put up another driver, I was able to install the 99.33 drivers finally but I had to use the information I found in the forums on how to get your sound working.  I don't remember the name of the post, but if you search for "The Windows Vista sudio diagnostic and installation guide" you should be able to find the post.

It has you doing 2 things, disabling the UAP and the DDC, when you do this the drivers install with no errors and all functions including the 3D console that Nvidia has.   The third thing it says to do is install you chipset drivers from the motherboard.  I was able to install my AGP drivers with no errors, Vista boots fine and the graphics seem to be a lot quicker than they were with the microsfot driver.

Glenn

Thursday, September 14, 2006 4:39 PM
  •  HI

What other sound device is there

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 6:18 PM
  • for rc1 the driver for the sound I used the beta 2 release sound driver and that worked for rc1.

As for the 6800 gt drivers Im using the vista rc2 driver for the rc1 (nvida give a refernce that that is a no no) but the rc 2 drivers work but  NO sli from Nvidia.

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 1:21 PM
  • Right guys u spoke to nvidia regarding these problems. the issue at hand is undergoing and am assured the nvidia 6600 series and 6600 sli series is getting sorted. We have to be very patient with this as microsoft are or should i say say were too quick at releasing this. I have Vista Ultimate and run online games and its distressing that i am only getting around 60fps and its laggy. Nowt i can do. You can go into your nvidia control panel and adjust settings for antialiasing and anisotropic. change these to non. or off. not application controlled. If you require any other stuff email me on swaryczewski326@btinternet.com and i can give you a nvidia advisor.
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 4:02 PM
  • Well Vista shipped and Nvidia still hasn't fixed any of the GeForce drivers

Sunday, March 18, 2007 4:12 PM