none
Non working time that isn't RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi, I have a task in Project 2013 that tells me the resource is overallocated because the task is scheduled during non working time. The problem is that the task isn't scheduled during non working time. I've checked everything I can think of but the project is adament that it's non working time.

    Help!!!!

    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:25 PM

All replies

  • You've checked the resource calendar? Does the Task have a base calendar applied? (Advanced tab, Task information dialog).

    Rod Gill

    The one and only Project VBA Book

    Rod Gill Project Management

    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:26 PM
    Moderator
  • Cant find a suitable name --
     
    Navigate to the Task Usage view and zoom the Timescale so that you see Weeks on the top half and Days on the bottom half.  Locate the offending task in the project, along with the resource supposedly assigned during nonworking time.  As you scroll to the right over the time span of the task, do you see any work scheduled for the resource during a weekend?
     
    Is there a custom calendar assigned to this task, by chance?  If so, while you are still in the Task Usage view, double-click anywhere in the Timescale.  In the Timescale dialog, click the Non-working time tab.  Click the Calendar pick list and select the same calendar you have assigned to this task as a Task calendar.  Doing this will allow you to see nonworking time for that task displayed as gray vertical bands on the timephased grid on the right side of the screen.  Do you now see any work scheduled for the resource during any of those nonworking time periods?
     
    Please let us know what you find and we will try to help.

    Dale A. Howard [MVP]

    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:46 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Dale, I've gone through your suggestions. There is no work scheduled for the resource at the weekend, there is no calendar assigned to the task and there is no "non working" time for the resource. Going to the task usage view though I can see something that looks odd. The task is a 3 day (3 x 8 hours) task but in task view it shows 7. hours on day one (Thursday), 8 hours on day two (Friday) and 8.5 hours on day three (Monday). I suspect that the resource is only setup to work 8 hours a day (not sure where to check this) and I can't figure out why it hasn't allocated 8 hours each day rather than 7.5, 8 and 8.5. The 8.5 on the last day could be the overallocation.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:08 AM
  • Further to my above reply, I have now found that Project is allocating only 7.5 hours on the first day of every task which more often than not means that there is an extra 0.5 hours added to the end.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:18 AM
  • Hi all, I think I've figured this out. The default times for scheduling on the project are set to 08:30 - 17:30 but on the project calendar they were set to 08:00 - 12:00 and 13:00 - 17:00. I've amended them so they are the same and it seems to be working properly now. Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:38 AM
  • Stephen --

    You are more than welcome for the help, my friend, but it was your own self-help that eventually solved the problem!  :)


    Dale A. Howard [MVP]

    Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:16 PM
    Moderator