none
How to associate 1997-2003 Word doc files with Word 2010?

Question

• Hi

I am surprised not to be able to find out how to associate word 1997-2003 Word files with Wrod 2010. The object is to have Word 2010 open the document when I click on the document. Many of my Word 1997-2003 documents were created using Word 2010.

When I try to use the associations function in Windows 7 I cannot find the Word program. Checking "Properties" on the Word Icon leads to a program called "CVH.EXE" which does nothing when I try to open doc files with it.

Thank you.

David

lifeform23
    Monday, November 22, 2010 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description , I understand that you want to open the prior Word doc files  in Word 2010.

You can refer to the KB article that resolve this issue:

How to open and save Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 or 2010 files in earlier versions of Office programs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

Sincerely,

Harry 

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, December 03, 2010 8:29 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:12 AM
  • You didn't understand his question, and thus gave an incorrect answer. His question, and mine, is how to associate the .doc extension with Word 2010, but the article you reference has nothing to do with that. The issue is that double clicking on a file with .doc extension throws an error and asks to find the program file. But it's impossible to locate the program file for Word 2010, thus making it impossible to associate the extension with the latest version of Word without some special method.

It's mind boggling to think that MS would be so stupid as to not make this association automatic upon installation. The vast majority of the world still uses the .doc format for compatibility reasons!

Pleas re-answer properly this time.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Open Control Panel.

Open Default Program. (you might need to change from "Category" to small/large icons)

Click 2nd entry: "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"

Find the extension: .doc

Click on the .doc entry and then click on "Change program", near the upper right.

On the next window that come up there will be a + in a box.  Expand that.

If MS Word is there, select it and then click "OK"

If it is not there, click on browse and find it.  Mine was in the following path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE

Open it or x2Click it.

On the "Open with" windows, make sure it is highlighted and then click "OK".

You're done...  Enjoy...

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Ikky-san has it right. However, my PC is running Windows Vista and I want to associate all .doc files with Word 2003, not Word 2007 or Word 2010. I follow Ikky-san's directions, but somehow Vista refuses to recognize Word 2003 for all .doc and .docx files. It won't allow Word 2003 to associate.

What's wrong?

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:52 AM
  • I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you have Office installed as a click-2-run application. 

If so this may be the issue as from what i've found out so far is that C2R runs in a virtual machine and makes no actual changes to your computer so you can run multiple versions of office side-by-side.

To be able to make the file association you will need to uninstall the click2run version and install the 'classic' professional installer (.msi)

The classic installer actually copies the winword.exe file to your computer and updates the registry with associations, just like we all expect it to.

HTH.

see the following link on how to convert from c2r to classic .msi

http://tinyurl.com/4negtvr

• Edited by AndrewMaki Friday, January 21, 2011 8:09 PM added link
    Friday, January 21, 2011 7:43 PM