"Cannot perform this operation. The file has been deleted or someone else has it checked out" when accessing a specific Excel document RRS feed

• Question

• We have 2 users who have Site Owner access to a SP Site and when they try and Check Out and Edit an Excel Document it gives them the error "Cannot perform this operation. The file has been deleted or someone else has it checked out".

The item has not been deleted and we have confirmed no one has it checked out.

We have tried modifying permissions, reinstalling Microsoft Office Suite, dnsflush, but nothing has changed.

Any ideas what else we should be looking at?

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:59 PM

Answers

• Well, I can't say I quite understand how this all ties together yet but we seemed to have resolved the issue. In my original post I had stated we tried to do a DNS Flush. At the time we had tried that we got:

"Could not flush he DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution"

We decided to follow-up on that portion a bit further and found an article that outlined:

Symptom:

When you run the ipconfig /flushdns command to clear the Domain Name System (DNS) cache on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
    Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.
    When you try to repair the network connection, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
    Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed:
    Clearing the DNS Cache

Cause:

This problem occurs if the DNS Client service is not running on the computer.

Resolution:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the list of services, click DNS Client.
    3. Make sure that the Status column displays Started and that the Startup Type column displays Automatic.
    4. If the service is not set to Started or if the startup type for the DNS Client service is not set to Automatic, follow these steps:
      a. Right-click DNS Client, and then click Properties.
      b. In the DNS Client Properties dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Automatic in the Startup type list.
      c. Click Start, click Apply, and then click OK.

When we tried this on the Users computer the Service was Disabled. When we started the service and tried access the files she was having issues with she was able to edit and modify.

We are considering this issue solved at this time.

• Marked as answer by mini-moe Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my experience and knowledge, if your database server’s file group is full or the disk is run out of space, it will cause this error. Please look into your database server’s settings first.

The error may looks like the following:

Database full error on SQL Server instance 'GWPDR-INT-SQL01' in database 'WSS_Content'. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.AllDocStreams'.'AllDocStreams_CK' in database 'WSS_Content' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

Second, please check your ULS and event log to find more useful clues.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Rock Wang TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

Open the site > Doc Lib in Designer and then check file status

Also which Office version you are using ? Is it upgraded recently?

Please let us know your findings, thanks

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 8:25 AM
  • Well, I can't say I quite understand how this all ties together yet but we seemed to have resolved the issue. In my original post I had stated we tried to do a DNS Flush. At the time we had tried that we got:

"Could not flush he DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution"

We decided to follow-up on that portion a bit further and found an article that outlined:

Symptom:

When you run the ipconfig /flushdns command to clear the Domain Name System (DNS) cache on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
    Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.
    When you try to repair the network connection, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
    Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed:
    Clearing the DNS Cache

Cause:

This problem occurs if the DNS Client service is not running on the computer.

Resolution:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the list of services, click DNS Client.
    3. Make sure that the Status column displays Started and that the Startup Type column displays Automatic.
    4. If the service is not set to Started or if the startup type for the DNS Client service is not set to Automatic, follow these steps:
      a. Right-click DNS Client, and then click Properties.
      b. In the DNS Client Properties dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Automatic in the Startup type list.
      c. Click Start, click Apply, and then click OK.

When we tried this on the Users computer the Service was Disabled. When we started the service and tried access the files she was having issues with she was able to edit and modify.

We are considering this issue solved at this time.

• Marked as answer by mini-moe Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:30 PM
  • I get this issue a lot. I get this problem if a create a Web Part Page. Add a List as web part. Go into page and "customize XLT" the List. Save. This will not save for some reason. So I check out the file before I do "Edit File in Advanced Mode" do the same again and try and check in. This is when I get your same error above.

I am guessing this is some sort of syncing issue between server and client. It may be a server queue delay. 

I have managed to fix this but viewing the page in the browser before a save and it prompts to save. This doesn't work all the time, but I feel it is more reliable. Spent 2 hours already trying to get this one file to save. I feel your pain.

John.

Friday, November 23, 2012 11:06 AM
  • Did anyone of you find a solution for this?

We are getting this issue, too.

SP2010, Office 2010

When a user tries to create and save a new document in a document library, he receives this issue.

Sven

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:02 AM
  • I have one user who reports this a lot.

We are running MOSS 2007 service pack 3, Office 2010.

She has a plain document library, with a limited number of users with access. The documents are excel spreadsheets that contain summaries from the users with access.

The error comes up as an Excel error. Other users do not report this issue.

The users check the document out, open it in Excel, make changes, then try to check it back in - they see the above message.

If they open the document first, then say to check it out, make their changes, and check the document back in, the same thing happens.

The check out indicator does show up in sharepoint while document is checked out.

If they disgard the checkout, that clears the sharepoint indicator and the changes of course are lost.

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:08 PM
  • We checked the DNS suggestion about and that didn't help. We also checked to make certain that the Title column still existed and was appropriately set.  I don't have SP 2007 on my Win7 desktop yet so I can't check that out yet.

Anyone else find other things that helped?

Monday, December 10, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Try taking a copy of the file. Rename the original (if allows). Delete otherwise. Rename Copy file to original name. Had this issue with a custom css and it resolved the issue.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Interesting. We seemed to solve it in a similar, but slightly different way.

The user with the problem created a new document library, place a copy of her document there, and she no longer had the problem.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:12 PM
  • This is something I have been dealing with in SharePoint Designer. I go to open a page that looks as though it is already checked out. When I make changes to the page Designer says the page isn't checked out or deleted. So I did what John said he does, I selected 'Advanced Mode' and then saved the page. Designer said the page was not checked out and it couldn't save, but when I finally closed the tab and re-opened it and went to pages, I can now see the page has been checked back in and if I need to re-edit it. I can... Thank You John!

Richell A. Grant

• Edited by R_Grant Friday, May 31, 2013 3:01 PM Update
    Friday, May 31, 2013 2:57 PM
  • I'm having this problem in SharePoint 2013 with an Excel file that is password protected.

We fixed the problem by removing the password within Excel.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:27 PM
  • We were experiencing the same issue in our SharePoint 2010 Standard Server environment. Client PC's have Office 2013 installed on Win7 Enterprise 64bit SP1;

>> The document library had lot of Excel documents which were all password protected

>> Document Check-Out works fine, prompts user to populate password to display the file contents.

>> Upon completing changes SAVE(ing) will save changes to document on SharePoint but when trying to Check-in, the SharePoint (default workflow) is trying to save changes & document edit status to READ ONLY at which stage it will need the password; Failing to populate the password the workflow fails & throws the error:

"we can't do that for you because the file was deleted or checked out"

>> So, to resolve the issue, Check-Out the document, populate the password to access the contents, click on FILE>ProtectWorkbook dropdown>Encrypt with Password>remove / delete the masked password (dots) to have the field empty>click OK>Now try Check-In ... SOLVED!

David, though I found your response bit too late, really appreciate for taking the effort to put it up. CHEERS.!

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:02 AM
  • Problem: Cannot perform this operation. The file has been deleted or someone else has it checked out

Answer found on sites:

1. To check if the user has contributor rights.
    2. To reinstall Microsoft Office Suite.
    3. To do dnsflush.

Nothing above worked for me.Solution that solved my problem: I found that the file had 510 minor versions, which is the minor version limit that a file can reach utmost on sharepoint. Publishing a major version solved the issue.

Friday, March 17, 2017 11:09 AM