Vista freezes during boot; also freezes when booting from dvd; RRS feed

• Question

• The system in question is a vaio laptop vgn cr220e running vista sp1.  Specs: core2duo t7250, 3 gb ram, 200 gb hd, intel graphics x3100 w/358 mb video memory available;

Everything was fine a couple nights ago, the only program running was the web browser.  A BSOD then popped up, but it disappeared before I could read the error code.  The system restarted on its own. Everything seemed to be going fine, but it froze on a black screen after the moving green bar splash screen.  I powered it off and let it rest for awhile and tried again, only I chose 'last good configuration'. It made it to the same screen only the mouse pointer was there, but still nonresponsive.

I tried booting into safe mode, but it froze at crcdisk.sys.  I've gone through many restart attempts, and have gotten multiple stop error codes. THe most common are c000021a and 0x0000007e.  From what I've found, these problems are often caused by hardware/driver problems, but since I can't get into vista, I can't troubleshoot.  One of the codes (0x0000007e) refers to a memory problem, so I removed and reinstalled the memory modules in every possible configuration (including leaving slots open), so there doesn't seem to be any problems with the RAM (also ran the memory checker with no problems).

I then tried to disable some of the hardware components in the bios one at a time until I found the culprit, but the bios on this particular system has NO options other than date change and system password.

I have tried booting from the vista dvd, but it freezes on the black screen after the grey 'loading' bar completely fills, sometimes with a BSOD and sometimes without. I have tried multiple discs that all work on other computers, so the problem is not with the disc. I even tried a vistaPE created from the automated installer kit as well as an XPPE. They all crash at similar points durjng boot.  Nothing windows related works.

The only thing I have been able to do is boot a live linux cd. It detects the hard drive and I have scanned it for errors and found none, and there is no data missing.

I have absolutely no idea what to do next. Any help is appreciated.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

There are many differences between Windows Vista and Linux, such as on the system architecture, the way they work, etc. Even though the hardware is the same; and the ways to call the hardware resources are different.

This should be a kernel mode crash issue. To troubleshoot this kind of issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum because of the nature of forum support. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Meanwhile, you can also contact SONY for technical support.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 8, 2009 8:50 AM

All replies

• Let me try attacking from another vantage point. What sort of problems would cause crashes when booting from the vista install disc?  Does the disc use any drivers that are installed on the system, or is it 100% from the disc?
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 11:45 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting.

There are many differences between Windows Vista and Linux, such as on the system architecture, the way they work, etc. Even though the hardware is the same; and the ways to call the hardware resources are different.

This should be a kernel mode crash issue. To troubleshoot this kind of issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum because of the nature of forum support. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Meanwhile, you can also contact SONY for technical support.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 8, 2009 8:50 AM