none
Help with overallocated resource flags / highlights disappearing RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Project 2010.  I have a separate file for a resource pool, several individual project files, and a composite companywide schedule file that shows all of the previously mentioned individual project files.  When the resource pool file is opened and viewed by resource usage all of my overallocated work resources are shown in red.  But when I open either the composite company projects schedule file or multiple individual project files the red highlighting of my overallocated work resources is no longer displayed. When checking known days when a resource is overallocated using the resource usage view it still shows the resource has too many hours associated with that particular day but there is no red highlight or flag.  In addition to this, in the project schedules themselves, the red overallocation flag (the little red man) is either not displayed or disappears. 

I have verified that all projects are using the same calendars and that overallocation is checked on a day by day basis.  

Thanks for the help.  

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you using Project Server or Project 2010 desktop only version?

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:54 PM
  • I am using Project 2010 desktop only version.
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:14 PM
  • I've moved your post from the Project Server to the Project Standard & Pro forum.

When you open one of the sharer files, are you choosing to open the pool file?

If you do not open the pool file, you are only viewing resource assignments from the file you have opened.  The other assignments will not appear in the Resource Usage view and if the overallocation is coming from another project file, it will not show.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Thank you for moving my post to the proper forum.

I have opened my composite file using the selection you showed in your previous post but it did not remedy the issue.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Some questions:

1) Do you have Service Pack 2 installed for Project 2010? If not try installing it then open and save all files.

2) You have numerous file links between projects, pool and master file. Are they all on your local server (ideally on a disk drive somewhere in your building)? If not, then linking files over a Wide Area network (WAN) can cause file corruption.

3) Have you ever renamed, moved or over-written any of the linked files? If so then you may have file corruption.

Once you have SP2 installed, break the links to the resource pool and master file. Delete the master a resource pool files. Recreate them on a server that is physically local or your C: drive and make sure all project files are also in the same folder.

4) Were the files created in Project 2010 or migrated from and earlier version such as Project 2007?

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:37 PM
  • I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by "composite file."  If you open the resource pool file with the third option, it should create a consolidated master file with each sharer file embedded also with references to the pool file.

How did you create the composite file?

Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:41 PM