Windows 7 Pro Hangs at Windows Starting Screen RRS feed

• Question

• A few days ago I had my OS drive crash on my desktop and could not restore any data and had to do a comptete new install of Windows 7 Pro on a 1tb Segate drive that I was using as a document drive.  I sucessfully installed Windows and all my programs.  I restarted multiple times and installed over 200 updates and the machine was running great. 

The machine was sitting on my desk through out the process so I shut it down and unpluged everything to move it to its perminate home.  I boot it up and it just hung at the black "Windows Starting" screen.  So the first thing I think is I have another failing drive.  I unplug it and connect it to my laptop as an external drive and run check disk.  Check disk said it found some errors, not a lot, then I ran defrag on the drive. 

While it was defraging I remembered that just before the computer shutdown it was installing an update from windows and it took a long time to install. After the defrag was done I put the drive back into my desktop and booted up in safe mode and did a system restore before the last update. System restore finished but Windows still hangs at the "Windows Starting" screen. 

I only have a video cable and a usb wireless keyboard and mouse reciever pluged in.  I have no idea what to do now and really don't want to reinstall Windows twice in a week.  If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

System

Intel i7 2.8Ghz

8GB Ram

1tb Segate HDD

MSI Motherboard

NVidia Graphics Card

Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:33 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the idea Chou,

I ran the disk check and I still can't get Windows to load.  I decided to just wipe the drive and reset the mbr.  Hopefully Windows will install correctly this time.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:20 AM

All replies