Ink shifting problem in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I use ink on my tablet pc to mark-up submitted word documents, and I am experiencing that parts of my writing - ink strokes - immediately disappear in the page I am editing and reappear lower in the document and usually on one page.  Major disappointment and time waster, erasing all that mess.  I emailed about a hot-fix for OneNote that sounded exactly like what I am experiencing but Alex Simmons [OneNote Connect] said that his hotfix was only for this problem in OneNote.  I am running Office 2010 Enterprise on a Toshiba Satelitte R15-S829 Tablet PC. No drivers are missing.  I updated the Waicom pen drivers just in case. OS for the tablet was upgraded to Windows 7 Pro.  Also, I convert all documents to .docx before editing with the ink stylus on the screen. Do not remember this being a problem with Word 2007, it is certainly an issue with this rig of Word 2010.  Any help? 

Friday, March 11, 2011 7:09 AM

All replies

• I was using Word 2010 on a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7 a while back and had no problems with inking. That is, using the Start Inking button in Word. Does the "shifting" occur outside of Office (WordPad)? Does it occur in other Office applications?

Check in Word under File/Options/Add-ins/COM Add-Ins/Go..., uncheck any add-ins and restart Word.

Are there any extra add-on tablet apps installed in Programs and Features? The last issue I saw was similar to this thread. There was a 3rd party tablet add-on that was interfering.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/office2007deployment/thread/fde9b876-5626-48a8-9a2f-a7e17179b90f

Monday, March 14, 2011 6:18 PM
  • I did not have this problem until I upgraded to Office 2010. 

To answer your questions;

- Inking in wordpad and onenote did not present the same shifting of ink strokes in tests today.

- I checked for add-ons and there were no Word specific add-ons in the area indicated in your post.

- mucking around in the programs and features, discovered a tablet pen feature that was turned on and got excited that I might have discovered the source of this, it was the learning feature, radio buttoned that off - and thought it was going well in a test document until I reopened my work and started it up again, only to have this same problem. 

- On one test document I was making ink comments, there on Page 2 and these errant ink strokes would disappear and fly down to page 19.  I can email this test document to you for a look but I suspect there is as you are thinking, a configuration issue somehow. This OneNote issue is identical by the way: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/johnguin/archive/2010/06/30/fix-for-ink-moving-and-shifting-bug.aspx

- My inking buttons are not grayed out as others report and the only time it hangs is when I place the cursor over a table, does not like to start inking over a table. 

Mahalo, Tech Sancho - a squire for all tech knights errant

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:28 AM
  • I was hoping you'd have uninstalled that tablet pen feature in Programs and Features. Sometimes the only way to rule out 3rd party (non-MS) software is to uninstall it.

A few more things you could check:

• Are Tablet PC Components installed in Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off? If that's checked I'd definately uninstall any 3rd party tablet software, Wacom or otherwise.
    • Are you using the Start Inking command in the Review tab in Word? If not try that and see if it works.

Further troubleshooting that may help narrow down the problem

• Start word in safe mode by going winword.exe /safe from run window or start search or command line
    • Test with another user account preferably a new one
    • Use msconfig and disable any non-ms services
    • Do you have any other tablets to test with? If you do is it a different model and does it work?
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:55 PM
  • Aaron - I uninstalled the wacom pen software from Programs and Features as you suggested.  The Tablet PC is checked (on) in the Programs and Features > Windows Features.  I use start inking command under review tab.  With this there was no change, still had the shifting problem, always the strokes go to a lower part of the document.  Then I started Word in safemode in another login, my administrator login.  I work in a standard or limited user login normally.  And after several minutes of testing did not have the same problem.  If Word in Safe Mode fixes the problem, what  could this mean?  Went to my profile, normal login, tried Word in Safemode and again, it worked without shifting. 

Now - if it does not produce the same problem in safemode, what might this mean?  Should I reinstall Office?

Tech Sancho. 

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Usually if something works in Word safe mode (winword.exe /safe) re-installing Office won't fix the problem. Word safe mode disables add-ins and the global templates, inlcuding Normal.dotm and other customizations. It could be a COM Add-in or something in Normal.dotm. You could also test Winword.exe /a.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 is great for basic troubleshooting Word issues.

First thing I'd do is go to File/Options/Add-Ins/COM Add-ins/Go... button, uncheck everything there and restart Word.

If it still doesn't work rename the Data key in the registry. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 for details on how to do this.

If that doesn't work close all Word windows and rename Normal.dotm under C:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

If nothing in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 works then close word and change the default printer to something generic like Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:59 AM