none
IEAK 11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to configure branding settings for all users who log onto a machine. I have gone through the wizard, selected the option to silent install, set the things I want such as favourites and browser title, then created an GPO to deploy the package. the package gets installed but users can't see my branding. if I manually install the package as a local admin, the local admin can see the changes but other users can't.

do I need to install this per user or at the computer level in the GPO? I have currently tried both but neither work.

maybe I am missing something else

Steve

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:20 PM

All replies

• maybe I am missing something else

But maybe not your fault?  <eg>

Favorites, Favorites Bar, and Feeds: Internet Explorer Customization Wizard
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn454930.aspx

<quote>

This topic has not yet been rated - Rate this topic                         

</quote>

What's with all the Next and Back links?  Are they helpful?  E.g., are they just things you would infer from the TOC or something better?  I haven't used the IE11 tool yet but I imagine they also map onto its UI somehow?

FWIW it looks to me that some diagrams and screenshots are sorely needed!

Oh.  Did you see this?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn454931.aspx

"Internet Explorer Setup fails on employee computers"

They recommend using a log that will be created when the install is run.  If that is not a sufficient clue, what I would do is run ProcMon to capture the context for each of its log records.  E.g. find the WriteFile event which corresponds to the log record you are interested in and the use its preceding context to supplement its meaning.  In particular you are likely to be able to easily identify the permissions issues that the troubleshooting document alludes to.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:35 PM
    Answerer
  • ok, well that didn't help at all. I don't think the IEAK works very well, it's not an easy to use system like the GPO's previously. I just have to make my adjustments manually.
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

Any event log about this issue (mentioned in the second link in Robert’s reply), check if there’re some valuable information for troubleshooting.

Please also refer to this link:

IEAK 11 Overview (Known Issue)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dn532244#issues

(Internet Explorer branding conflicts when using both Unattend and IEAK 11 to customize Internet Explorer settings)

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:58 AM
  • I don't think that stuff applies to me really, all I want is something extremely simple like how the internet explorer maintenance section of group policy used to be before they got rid of it.

my branding package is incredibly simple, the browser is already installed on the clients, all I want to do is set a home page and some favourites then push those settings out to the client.

so, I deploy the MSI file using the software installation part of the GPO

the managed software installation message appears during windows start up

a local admin logs in and I can clearly see the settings have applied, the browser title, the home page, the favourites

a domain user logs in but has not received the branding settings

I have noticed the following event logged in event viewer

product: internet explorer 11 - error 1706. an installation package for the product internet explorer 11 cannot be found. try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package "ie11-setup-branding.msi"

the msi file the error refers to is the msi branding package created by IEAK, how can it not be valid, and how can my settings have applied if the installation package is not valid

this error message is followed by an information message stating that the msi was successfully removed, so if its not installed how did the settings get applied to the local admin, why aren't they applying to standard domain users who log on?

I am surprised by the lack of instructions around how to configure this, I have learnt that I can update the INS file to add other favourites etc yet no explanation on how to get this working with a web server

thanks

Steve

Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Did you ever get a resolution on this? We're implementing the same due to IE Maintenance settings no longer working reliably with IE11. We have a spread of IE8, 9, 10, and 11 and this IEAK 11 customization fails on all of them.  It's incredibly frustrating that MS would get rid of something that works and replace it with this half baked admin kit. 

I've tried IEAK 11 customization, group policy preferences, and even the old IE maintenance settings from a machine that can still see those options.  of those only IE maintenance provides positive results on IE 8, 9, and 10.  It works intermittently on IE11 machines.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:41 PM
  • I totally agree, it is extremely frustrating that they have removed something which worked perfectly fine for older versions. I still have the same results as you do, an intermittent solution. By using the GPO preferences and the customisation pack we can get something which covers a fair portion of our machines but doesn't cater for all of them.

It would be nice to have something that is truly centralised for managing ALL of IE features and ALL versions, otherwise people are bound to just jump ship and move to Chrome or FireFox, if we can't manage a browser which is supposed to work with Windows made by Microsoft, then we may as well just deploy a different browser which works just as fine. I hope MS are listening, because they are already loosing market share on the browsers for consumers, the corporate side is probably the main bit keeping the figure high.

Sorry but I still don't have anything better than I had before.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:05 PM
  • I have noticed the following event logged in event viewer

product: internet explorer 11 - error 1706. an installation package for the product internet explorer 11 cannot be found. try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package "ie11-setup-branding.msi"

the msi file the error refers to is the msi branding package created by IEAK, how can it not be valid, and how can my settings have applied if the installation package is not valid

this error message is followed by an information message stating that the msi was successfully removed, so if its not installed how did the settings get applied to the local admin, why aren't they applying to standard domain users who log on?

Did you try using ProcMon to supplement these diagnostics and try to answer your questions yourself?  E.g. often "cannot be found" turns out to be a misleading indication of a permissions problem.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:19 PM
    Answerer
  • how can i use procmon when the installation occurs before user login? it occurs during computer login for the computer side of the GPO... i dont get any GUI at this stage to load any tools, all I see are the messages in event viewer after the fact.

thanks

Steve

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:34 PM
  • how can i use procmon when the installation occurs before user login?

ProcMon has a Boot Logging option.  But this detail would make me even more expect to see permissions as the problem cause.  So, perhaps there is some easier more conventional extra logging you could enable and then see it more simply using Event Viewer?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:25 AM
    Answerer
  • I doubt it's a permissions issue, the folder share (both share and NTFS) are completely open to all users, domain admins and domain computers. the fact that it does succeed sometimes leads me to think its not permissions related. I think it's just a shoddy way of deploying IE and providing customisations, I have used it in the past with IE 9 and 7 and the behaviour was very similar, things didnt get applied correctly, problems when redeploying changes. I think Microsoft just need to revisit the way they let thier corporate customers manage IE
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:50 AM