none
adprep32.exe /forestprep error: Adprep was unable to update forest information.

Question

• Hi all,
    one of our forests still runs on an old W2K3 SP2.
    I tried to prepare the forest in order to migrate the forest to a new W2K8 DC.
    I ran following command (E: holds the Windows 2K8 CD): E:\support\adprep\adprep32.exe /forestprep

I got following error message:

Adprep was unable to complete because the call back function failed.
    [Status/Consequence]
    Error message: Error(-1073741801) while running ""C:\WINDOWS\system32\LDIFde.exe" -o ObjectGuid -d "CN=siteLinkBridge-Display,CN=401,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=bibliothek,DC=local" -u -f "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\IMPOST~1\Temp\1\TMP28A.tmp" -s bibserver.bibliothek.local".   (0x80004005).
    [User Action]
    Check the log file ADPrep.log, in the C:\WINDOWS\debug\adprep\logs\20170330124337 directory for more information.

Adprep was unable to update forest information.
    [Status/Consequence]
    Adprep requires access to existing forest-wide information from the schema master in order to complete this operation.
    [User Action]
    Check the log file, ADPrep.log, in the C:\WINDOWS\debug\adprep\logs\20170330124337 directory for more information.

The given log file contains no other hints.
    Any idea?

I already tried disabling the antivirus software. Furthermore, dcdiag /v reports no error.

Thanks in advance!

-Pietro.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 10:45 AM

Answers

• Solved!

I was running adprep within a remote desktop session. I logged in to the server console and it worked.

Have a nice day,
    Pietro.

Friday, March 31, 2017 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi

On the Windows Server 2008 R2 disk are adprep32.exe (32bit) and adprep.exe (64bit) located, so make sure to use the correct version.Also you account needs to be member of the Schema/Enterprise/Domain admins.

and also functional level needs to be at least Server 2000 afaik.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:51 AM
  • definitely looks like a permission issue. Like above post, try adding to required groups.
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:54 PM
  • Solved!

I was running adprep within a remote desktop session. I logged in to the server console and it worked.

Have a nice day,
    Pietro.

Friday, March 31, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Hi Pietro,
    Thank you for the update and share, I am glad that the problem is fixed, we would appreciate you to mark it as answers, and it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 31, 2017 8:00 AM