none
Winkey + X / Right-click start group policy woes

Question

• Hi All,

I'm building a Windows 10 reference machine and tinkering with group policy ahead of upgrading the school's Win 7 machine's to 10. I've hit a brick wall with trying to restrict right-clicking on the start button. I've enabled all the recommended policies such as Remove access to context menus, Turn off Windows + X hotkeys, Remove File Explorer's default context menu. I've tried doing this through group policy and local policy just cannot seem to kill that feature. When I tried doing this through the registry I got an error saying the start menu and Cortana was damaged and a log-off was enforced and the settings were removed.

The OS is Windows 10 Enterperise LTSB 32-Bit running on VM-Ware

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards,

Martin

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hey Martin - I don't have a specific answer for you but I do have a general question. What are you trying to accomplish by blocking the win+X menu? I work in education as well and it is the single best hotkey for me and our techs.

You can use AppLocker or software restriction policies to block any of the win+x tools from your students. This allows you to still use that menu for troubleshooting.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Hi Joseph,

The functions are all admin tasks and we don't want the students to even see them, let alone open them. I agree it's a very handy menu, but best seen just by us Techs :)

Thanks for the reply

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

Below article lists start policy settings that supported for Windows 10, including “Prevent changes to Taskbar and Start Menu Settings”, “Prevent users from uninstalling applications from Start”, “Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands” and so on.

Changes to Group Policy settings for Windows 10 Start

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt484191%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 6:48 AM