none
Is it possible to virtualize Svr2008Ent with UEFI? RRS feed

• Question

• Am trying to run a test migration project and need to virtualize a server running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, but it appears to have UEFI protection (not even sure if that was possible with Svr2008). Since VHDX cannot be used with OS older than Svr2012, it this even possible?

Running Disk2VHD successfully creates a VHD, but a VM will not boot with this disk attached. Error is "An operating system wasn't found" and I assume this is related to the EFI System Partition.

Have run disk repair, using bootrec /fixmbr and so on, but without any success.

This problem must be related to the virtualization of hidden partitions on the physical server.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 4:59 PM

All replies

• VHDx is just a file type, it's not OS dependent or restricted.  But, you have other issues. 

If you're trying to use UEFI you need to use a Gen 2 VM. But 2008/R2 won't work with a Gen 2.  Windows Server 2008/2008R2 understand UEFI, but require a component that Hyper-V UEFI doesn't implement. 

https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/comparing-hyper-v-generation-1-2-virtual-machines/

Thursday, March 1, 2018 12:01 AM
  • My mistake. I mistook an "EFI System Partition" for some kind of UEFI hidden partition. Obviously wrong!

It turns out that my P2V virtualization process was failing because of errors on the RAID array. Looks like we have other problems.

Thanks anyway.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 10:44 AM