I'm using 2007 Word and email mail merge RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using 2007 word and I want to attach a document to an email mail merge. This was answered before by Doug, but the person was using 2010. I want to know if his add-in will work with 2011

Thanks.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:08 PM

All replies

• If the add-in is VBA code that should - if such a tool for ex. make et .NET,VB6 is to be tested.

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Thank you for your response. I found the article from Doug a MVP there and yes it is VBA code. Sadly, a bit over my head though and will not be able to do it. I was hoping for a quick fix download - that doesn't seem to exist.

Thanks anyway!

Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:35 PM
  • uuu 2011 version is for Mac

Sorry I do not have experience with this platform

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP
    Friday, December 9, 2011 3:29 PM
  • I've had a look at Doug's addin and unfortunately there is quite a lot of stuff in there that just won't work on Mac Office 2011.

I realise you posted a couple of weeks ago, but if you still need this, the suggestion I made in the following Answers group conversation may help:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macword/mail-merge-manager-and-attachments/775cfc02-ffc7-48d9-98ab-189f0f3a424c

AFAICS the problems with getting Doug's macro to work on Mac fall into two main classes:

a. problems that could probably be fairly easily worked around on Mac. e.g. the Ribbon is more restricted on Mac and there would need to be a different way for you to select the various options his addin provides. There are a lot of "little" differences between Windows Word and Mac Word VBA that have to be dealt with.

b. problems that would need a significantly different approach on Mac - the main one that I can see from a very brief look is that Doug needs to automate Outlook to create the emails and add the attachments. On Mac, Outlook cannot be automated directly using Outlook. It might be possible to do something using Applescript instead.

The trouble is that either a more complete Applescript approach or a port of Doug's addin would take time that I don't have right now, even to establish feasibility. So that's probably no use to you. But when I get some time (won't be for a month or so) I may be able to have a chat with Doug and look at that.

FWIW I eventually created a script for something along these. Not much tested, it can be found at http://goo.gl/Nm49R

You will need to read the code and modify it in various ways as indicated. I'm not in a good position to do further work on it, though.

Peter Jamieson
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:04 PM