none
Windows 7 Boot Issue After Drive Format RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I installed Windows 7 on an SSD drive on my home PC which previously ran XP (from a SATA drive). All worked fine and today I was comfortable that I had transferred all data to the SSD or to an external HD so I wanted to set the drive that formerly hosted XP up as a standard data drive (i.e. non-OS).

I formatted the SATA using a 3rd party tool by booting into that tool and blowing away all of the partitions. Now I can't boot into Windows 7. Trying a repair from the Win 7 install CD is unfortunately unsuccessful and suroprisingly I can't see the Win 7 install listed in the System Recovery options dialog box. From the command prompt though I can see that all the files are there. I've marked the partition as active with diskpart and also ran "bootsect /nt60 all" from the Windows 7 install CD but no joy. Finally in an act of desperation I've copied boot and bootmgr from the Win 7 install CD to the Win 7 hard drive but again no joy. The hard drive I's using is as OCZ Sata II 2.5" solid state drive.

It seems to me that I am missing something in terms of configuring an MBR and / or configuring drive as System but can't figure out what ... or possibly the fact that there is no Win 7 install listed in the  "System Recovery Options" dialog box means that it's an issue with OCZ drivers? Anyway, I've internet-searched myself to death so hopefully somebody here can give me some much-appreciated assistance.

Thanks,

alan_the_geek.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:10 PM

Answers

• This is a known issue with OCZ firmware on their Sandforce controllers.  Check the OCZ forums for instructions on how to fix it.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    • Proposed as answer by zhen tan Friday, August 19, 2011 2:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:02 AM