none
Changing Icons on exe files?

Question

• Well I got Windows 7 Ultimate Edition and I was kinda wondering, can you change the icon of .exe files in Windows 7? Before u had to "hack" or use third party software to change them in Xp so is there any other way to change them in Windows 7?

ex: mozilla firefox icon changed to some other icon

Thank you
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 5:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• It's the same as it has been - no third party tools needed.

Here's what I did logged on using an account with administrative rights.

1. Right-click the icon.
    2. Select Properties.
    3. Click the Change Icon buttom.
    4. Select a different icon or browse to find a different ico file.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Click Continue to provide administrator permission.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 5:53 PM
  • It's the same as it has been - no third party tools needed.

Here's what I did logged on using an account with administrative rights.

1. Right-click the icon.
    2. Select Properties .
    3. Click the Change Icon buttom.
    4. Select a different icon or browse to find a different ico file.
    5. Click OK .
    6. Click OK .
    7. Click Continue to provide administrator permission.
    Wait, I cannot find step 3... Where is that change the icon button located? Because the only way i can find that button is if it do it to a folder... But I want to change the icon of an application...
    Monday, November 9, 2009 11:46 PM
  • I apologize for reading something into your question that wasn't there. This forum is specifically for Windows 7 Virtual PC and XP Mode questions. When XP Mode starts an application (an executable, on other words), it is invoked from a shortcut found under Windows XP Mode Applications. My instructions are for changing the icon associated with one of these shortcuts.

There is no easy or Microsoft supported way of changing the icon associated with an exe file because the icon is embedded into the executable. I'm not saying it catn't be done, but it's not supported by Microsoft and this is a Microsoft forum. Unsupported scenarios are what search engines are for.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Yes, this is not supported natively in Windows 7, though you can stil try certain third party tool to achieve this.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Robot7290 Saturday, November 28, 2009 8:18 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:07 AM
  • Anyone know how to change the icon of an mht file? Current icon on the desktop looks like a sheet of paper folded in upper right hand corner with a picture frame in the lower left corner. I want to change it to standard internet explorer icon.
    Thanks,
    Wolf

• Proposed as answer by Jopen50 Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:48 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 1:30 AM
  • Hi
    Try this link. It is the only application that worked for me when trying to replace an icon for .exe applications.
    http://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-softsell.cgi?VENDOR=15248&STORE_FRONT_PAGENAME=EclipsitStore&styleid=17246
    The product that worked for me is "On Display". I downloaded the trial and changed my icons.
    Best of Luck
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:53 PM
  • actually, it looks like you could do it all along, I haven't tested this yet, but it involves no downloading and just uses the registry edit

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/change-file-type-icon-windows-7-and-vista/
    • Proposed as answer by XR_Sean_IX Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Asif9785 Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:00 PM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:45 AM
  • You can only do that to a shortcut.
    • Proposed as answer by Tom72468 Saturday, February 10, 2018 8:31 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:56 AM
  • try this

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Icon-for-an-Exe-File

make sure to avoid the ads and the fake agreements in the downloader and pick custom installation
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:59 AM
  • From my understanding that process only works if you first create a shortcut of the software. Thereby modifying the icon of the shortcut, not the actual application. 
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:40 PM
  • 4 years, and three years from your reply...That's what I needed.
    Saturday, February 10, 2018 8:31 AM
  • It is my belief that you can include a custom icon for any windows EXE file if you understand the structure of the EXE file itself. Compiler programs like PowerBasic for Windows seem to allow this at the time you compile the original exe file. This means you may be able to overlay any icon you want if it takes the very same number of bytes for the BMP icon. You simply need to understand the details of the EXE file and the addresses of the bmp data. Or so I believe. You simply need to be able to replace the old image bytes with the new so long as no CRC or md5 or whatever is expected. A crc would be a security thing which is always a pain created by paranoid peoples not necessary for average everyday stuff.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 9:20 AM