none
DPM 2010 - How to Grow DPM Storage as Protected Data Grows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am protecting 2TB of data on a file server.  This data is being backed up to a storage pool with a capacity of 3TB (located on RAID Array #1).  When the 2TB grows to 4TB, I plan to add additional storage to the DPM Server and create a new array, RAID Array #2.  Once I add this new storage into DPM, can I then expand the Replica and recovery volume onto that storage?

Friday, July 2, 2010 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, When add the add the 2nd Array to Windows so disk management sees it as a new physical disk, then just ADD the new disk to the DPM storage pool.  Once added, you can then modify the disk allocation for the protected data source and extend the Replica and Recovery point volumes to the new larger sizes. DPM will automatically extend the volumes and utilize the new disk space in the storage pool.. 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, When add the add the 2nd Array to Windows so disk management sees it as a new physical disk, then just ADD the new disk to the DPM storage pool.  Once added, you can then modify the disk allocation for the protected data source and extend the Replica and Recovery point volumes to the new larger sizes. DPM will automatically extend the volumes and utilize the new disk space in the storage pool.. 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 8:43 PM
  • That hit the nail on the head!

Thanks Mike!

Friday, July 2, 2010 10:24 PM