none
DPM2010 only backing up one protected computer RRS feed

• Question

• We are having an issue with DPM2010 and it only backing up one server when there are multiple specified in a protection group.

For simplicity here is what we are attempting to backup.

Server A(DPM server) with volumes E and F

Server B with volumes G and H

Server C with volumes I and J

Servers B and C are on the domain and have the agent installed and successfully checking in.

When all servers are configured in one protection group it only backs up the last server added and it's volumes. I've reviewed the protection group several times and all are listed in it, how ever when I check the monitoring tab and jobs scheduled for today, only the one server is listed with a job scheduled for today.

I can backup each server individually with no problem but any time multiple servers are specified in one protection group the last server that was added is the only one that gets backed up.

I've deleted and recreated the protection group countless times, i've checked licensing(have more then needed).

There are also no errors that show up, the protection group thinks everything is ok but when looking at the amount of data on tape, it's used 1-2 tapes instead of 6 if everything was backed up.

Friday, November 12, 2010 6:26 PM

Answers

• i can suggest on you to do multiple Protection groups and enable the co-location on tapes it will resolve your issue as temp solution till we can reach a clear view of this strange issue meanwhile can you send me any logs you got on the DPM server

Enable Tape co-location:

Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DpmServer <DPM Server Name> -OptimizeTapeUsage $true

Disable Tape co-location:

Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DpmServer <DPM Server Name> -OptimizeTapeUsage $false

regards

Friday, December 3, 2010 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi

Regarding on what the server B and C contains (SQL, file) etc. DPM will create recovery points regarding if the protected workloads is defined as application or file. If you create new data on the server B and C and go to the DPM server and manually triggers the creation of a recovery point, what happens?

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, November 12, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Thanks for the reply but I'm not 100% sure I understand. Server B and C are dump points for scripts to copy security logs and certain device config files to so there is always new data going to them several times a day.

On server A we are backing up file and SQL(dpm database)

Server B we are only backing up file and system state. It has a database on it but we are not concerned about backing it up. The same with Server C.

I'm also unfamiliar with manually creating a recovery point.

We are also backing up to tape, not sure if that makes a difference.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Hello,

How do you know it is only backing up the last server added in the protection group?
    How are you verifying this?

If you go to the recovery tab and select a day, can you drill down into the other servers for recovery points? Do you not see the other directories specified?

Thanks,
    Shane

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:00 PM
  • When first implemented we would verify backups daily. We noticed that the amount of data that is being backed up and the the number of tapes being used was significantly less then what it was when using DPM2007.

With DPM2007 it would backup roughly 1.8-2.0TB and use 5 tapes every day.

After we did a complete new build of DPM2010 the amount of data would vary based on the order that servers were added to the list of protected computers.

Checking recovery points only shows one server.

Also when checking completed jobs, and next scheduled jobs from the monitor tab only show the volumes of one server listed.

Friday, November 26, 2010 9:21 PM
  • hi inglis

when you went to recovery tape and navigate to the backed up data did you see only the server you mentioned above, and can you do a backup on seprate Protection group for the other servers - one thing else if you run perform a recovery point manualy did you see that it only backup this server too not including the rest of data

to perform manually recovery point pointer to the protection group and right click on it and run perform recovery point

Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:01 AM
  • backing up using separate protection groups is not a viable option for us based the number of tapes available and the way the data is broken up on the different servers.

It doesn't matter how the backups are run(scheduled or manual) it will only backup one server.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:06 PM
  • i can suggest on you to do multiple Protection groups and enable the co-location on tapes it will resolve your issue as temp solution till we can reach a clear view of this strange issue meanwhile can you send me any logs you got on the DPM server

Enable Tape co-location:

Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DpmServer <DPM Server Name> -OptimizeTapeUsage $true

Disable Tape co-location:

Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DpmServer <DPM Server Name> -OptimizeTapeUsage $false

regards

Friday, December 3, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Hello,

In the DPM console if you expand the protection group for which the problem servers are a member of. You should be able to right click a datasource and select "create a recovery point".

So if you select a data source on a computer and perform a manual recovery point does this also fail as well.
    Can you choose to create a recovery point after a synchronization? Does this work?
    Can you give specifics about the servers\datasources that are NOT getting recovery points? Are they file servers? SQL servers etc.... OS version? etc.....

Putting aside what shows up in the "jobs scheduled for today" if you go to that server during the time that recovery points are to be created for the problem datasources, do you see in the monitoring tab any of those jobs starting?

Are there any errors or alerts in regards to those servers in the DPM event logs?
    Are there any errors in the event logs of the problem servers indicating any DPM issue at all?

Thanks
    Shane

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as described above.

Only one of the 10 servers in the protection group is being backed up to tape.

I have looked at the tape contents and can see only one server has been done and looking at the scheduled jobs it only has that server.

I have deleted and recreated the protection group and I still have the same problem.

I created 2 protection groups one for SQL db and volumes and one for the servers system state both of have picked the same server to backup and left the rest. 

The server being backed up is Server 2003 file server, the servers not being backed up are various 2003, 2008, 2008R2, SQL 2005, 2008, Exchange 2010. 

I receive no errors in the event log or DPM.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Hi,

I have had the same issue as you.

Remove the server that is being backed up from the protection group and create a new group just for that server.

make sure you have all the protection groups set to start at the same time if they are going to be part of the same backup set and DPM will process them all. (make sure you have colocation turned on)

It does take a little more effort to get it setup initially but protection groups are free so use as many as you need!! it will also save time troubleshooting why it is not working.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Proposed as answer by ssbob1975 Friday, March 11, 2011 1:00 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 12:57 AM