Unable to enable AD Recycle bin feature, Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Good day all, I am having difficulty enabling the recycle bin feature. From what I gathered recycle bin was enable in the past but during upgrade from 2008 and 2016, we received error that the recycle bin feature could not be found in active directory. 

I have gone majority of guides on how to enable recycle bin. Using the Active Directory Administrative Center, enable recycle bin is greyed out. However when trying command under power shell it states that Object Recycle bin cannot be found.

Example:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Enable-ADOptionalFeature 'Recycle Bin Feature' -Scope ForestOrConfigurationSet -Target 'domain.com' -server dc1

Error:

Enable-ADOptionalFeature : Cannot find an object with identity: 'Recycle Bin Feature' under: 'CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Enable-ADOptionalFeature 'Recycle Bin Feature' -Scope ForestOrConfigu ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Recycle Bin Feature:ADOptionalFeature) [Enable-ADOptionalFeature], ADIdentityNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.EnableADOptionalFeature

OR

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Enable-ADOptionalFeature –Identity 'CN=Recycle Bin Feature,CN=Optional Features,CN=Directory Service,CN=Windows NT,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=my,DC=domain,DC=name' –Scope ForestOrConfigurationSet –Target 'domain.com'

Error:

Enable-ADOptionalFeature : Cannot find an object with identity: 'CN=Recycle Bin Feature,CN=Optional Features,CN=Directory Service,CN=Windows NT,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=my,DC=domain,DC=name' under:
    'CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Enable-ADOptionalFeature –Identity 'CN=Recycle Bin Feature,CN=Optiona ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (CN=Recycle Bin ...=domain,DC=name:ADOptionalFeature) [Enable-ADOptionalFeature], ADIdentityNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.EnableADOptionalFeature

Also using ADSI editor, under CN=Partitions msDS-EnabledFeature field is empty.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. We will probably have to contact microsoft support, but wanted to check here first. 

Thursday, July 26, 2018 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is your forest functional level?

Thanks

Syed

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

Thursday, July 26, 2018 6:09 PM
  • Its Windows Server 2016.

Our domain functional level is also Windows Server 2016.

Thanks 

Friday, July 27, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

I would apologize for the delayed reply.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 30, 2018 7:38 AM
  • No problem, any help will be appreciated. I also tried to see if we had the option in ADSI editor to recreate the object but unfortunately that type of object (msDS-OptionalFeature) is unavailable.  

Monday, July 30, 2018 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please run command Get-ADOptionalFeature -Filter 'name -like "Recycle Bin Feature"' then post the result in our forum?

Also, Please verify whether Deleted Objects container was listed.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 3, 2018 5:44 AM
  • Thanks William for response.

Running Get-ADOptionalFeature -Filter 'name -like "Recycle Bin Feature"' gets no result.

There is also no Deleted objects container.

• Edited by itnoc Monday, August 6, 2018 4:35 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2018 4:35 PM
  • Still having issue, if anyone has any additional questions or suggestions. 

Thanks

Friday, August 24, 2018 1:13 AM
  • I can second this issue. I am experiencing the exact same problems and am at this point stuck. Functional level is 2016 and there is no ability to enable Recycle Bin.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 8:34 PM
  • Are you running the command under your Domain Admin + Enterprise Admins credentials at the elevated command prompt?
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:28 PM
  • Yes, that is correct. 
    Saturday, September 15, 2018 6:46 AM
  • Still having issue, if anyone has any additional questions or suggestions. 

Thanks
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

check the below link to enable the recycle bin using LDP.exe

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd379481%28v%3dws.10%29

Thanks

Syed

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:03 PM
  • I also has weird issues like that and in my case, the Recycle Bin was enabled after adding the first Windows 2016 DC in our Windows 2008 R2 Forest.

The Windows 2016 DC's could not see the Recycle Bin.

The only way to fix the issue was to get rid of the new Windows 2016 DC's and Promote them again… really weird.

But in your case, recover you old Windows 2008 R2 DC's is not an option i guess.

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

Are you sure the forest functional level is Windows 2008 R2 or higher?

To be sure please run the following power-shell command:

Get-ADForest

You have to use a account with the followings permissions:

• Domain Amin in root domain
    • Schema Admin
    • Enterprise Admin

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:31 PM
  • Thanks for responding.

As suggested I ran the command in Power shell with Active Directory Module.

I substituted our domain with Domain instead.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-ADForest

ApplicationPartitions : {DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=Domain,DC=com, DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=Domain,DC=com}
    CrossForestReferences : {}
    DomainNamingMaster    : DC3.Domain.com
    Domains               : {Domain.com}
    ForestMode            : Windows2016Forest
    GlobalCatalogs        : {DC3.Domain.com, DC1.Domain.com, DC2.Domain.com, FLLDC1.Domain.com...}
    Name                  : Domain.com
    PartitionsContainer   : CN=Partitions,CN=Configuration,DC=Domain,DC=com
    RootDomain            : Domain.com
    SchemaMaster          : DC3.Domain.com
    Sites                 : {Default-First-Site-Name, COLOFLL}
    SPNSuffixes           : {}
    UPNSuffixes           : {}

• Edited by itnoc Monday, October 29, 2018 10:00 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2018 9:58 PM
  • The enable recycle bin will be greyed out unless the server holds the ad fsmo roles. If you have multiple dcs check which dc holds fsmo roles and you should be able to enable it from there. 
    Friday, December 6, 2019 11:43 PM