none
File Server and Security RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, 

I have small issue regarding NTFS right on my file server.

I have a drive name P: and some root folder like P:\IT

I would like to avoid people who have access to a specific drive on P: to delte this root folder but after they can do what they want inside this folder (for ex P:\IT).

I am stuck and I dont really know which right need to apply to this folder and subfolder.

Thanks for your help, 

YV

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 3:53 PM

All replies

• You need to configure permission on the folder structure, in the advanced permissions you can use a security group, add the users to the group, add the group to the advanced permissions, set the permissions on the root folder as read, make sure the additional settings are set to this folder only.. apply it.. now, go back into the advanced permissions, add the same group to the permissions and choose the sub-folder option and files of sub-folders options, and give it full permissions, that will allow the users to access the root folder as a read only, but also give them permissions to do whatever in the sub folders.. 

Alternately, 

You can just set the Root folder as a share, and that way all the users wouldn't have access to do anything to the root, because that's its own folder.. 

Rob

Friday, January 4, 2019 5:03 PM