User Information List Duplicates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

It all started when we noticed that some deleted Active Directory profiles were still being sent list alert notifications, which were bouncing.  I determined that the SharePoint profile sync, the "My Site Cleanup Job", the "Profile Synchronization", and the "Quick Profile Synchronization" timer jobs were all running correctly.  In addition, the user's profile no longer appeared within the profile store.  However, when I consulted the relevant site collection's User Information List (http://siteURL/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx), I found that the user's record still appeared. 

The source of the User Information list is the UserInfo table housed within the relevant content database, and it has a column titled 'tp_IsActive'.  It appears that this column gets set to 'False' once a user is removed from the profile store so that the information is still available to populate fields within the site when necessary, but the name no longer shows up in the people picker, any existing alerts are deleted, etc.  When I queried the UserInfo table with the user's userID, I found 2 records for them, one with a tp_IsActive setting of False and the other True.  I believe this is the problem, and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what events may have caused the record to get written into the UserInfo table twice.  I've inherited this farm from a previous admin, so I don't know whether the content database(s) were moved at anytime.  Is there a 'non-messy' way to eliminate the duplicates and clean up the environment? 

Thanks!

-Tracy

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:15 PM

All replies

• Each row is this table relates to a site collection.

The field 'tp_IsActive' is used by the proile sync to know if it should update the data or not. This field doesn't determine if the user is displayed within the people picker - as this is a direct LDAP query to your AD.

Regards | Aaron www.aaron-rendell.co.uk | SharePoint Consultant | Microsoft Gold Partner - Silversands, Poole, Dorset, England
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have multiple site collections pointing to the same content DB? If yes then this is the normal behavior that you may see multiple entries corresponds to an user's membership in multiple site collections.

To remove these people from this table just delete them from site collection by going all people page.

The jobs only update the details of the active users.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Hello Tracy,

When users are removed from a site's permission groups, they can no longer browse to the site (assuming they do not have individual rights to the site). . However, they still exist in the UserData table, and their alerts are still present. A site administrator can still see their alerts on the User Alerts page.  Site Settings >> Site Administration >> User Alert’s

This makes it easier to move users between groups without losing the alerts they had created. Thus, users who are moved from the Visitors group to the Members group will not have to re-create their alerts just because they change their permission level.

To permanently delete a user from the UserData table and permanently delete all of the user's alerts, you need to delete the user from the site collection.

Refer to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/remove-users-and-groups-from-site-access-HA010119022.aspx#BM3  for more details .

Alternatively  you can work  with your developer using SharePoint Object Model  to enumerate users with  tp_ISactive  =0 in site & then get rid of them .  Please  note  you can’t do any direct database modifications  to  achieve this  result which would then leave your environment in an un-supported  state.  Support for changes to the databases that are used by Office server products and by Windows SharePoint Services 

Regards,
    Manas Biswas
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 8:40 AM