none
Strange problem with Internet Explorer - works only when run as admin

Question

• I have a really strange problem with W10 1607 and IE 11. IE 11 won't open any web pages if it's not run as elevated. IE just trying to load web pages forever. Edge and Chrome works without any issues on this same machine so it really shouldn't be a network issue either. This same behaviour is for every user profile in this machine. I have tried to reset all IE settings, remove IE with Dism, remove all IE related temporary data and anything that I can think of but on luck so far. It must be somekind of a permission issue somewhere because when I run IE elevated pages load immediately.

Any ideas?

Monday, March 27, 2017 1:12 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter from Control Panel > Troubleshooting > View all. Let us know if this helps.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Monday, March 27, 2017 1:50 PM
  • I did run all the IE troubleshooter tests from control panel but they didn't find anything. 

I noticed that IE can open web pages by using IP address but not with the name when not run elevated.

And everything works if I just click and run IE elevated or use Edge / Chrome non elevated.

This makes no sense :|

• Edited by jqx12 Monday, April 3, 2017 3:16 PM
    Monday, April 3, 2017 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the hosts file is damaged.

Please reset it:

How to reset the Hosts file back to the default

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/972034/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 8:47 AM
  • I tried that too but it didn't help either. Thanks anyway.
    Sunday, April 9, 2017 2:52 PM
  • When I run process monitor with filter iexplore.exe as a process name and launch Internet Explorer as a standard user this is all I get. It's trying to open homepage that is set to Google.com. When I do the same capture and run iexplore.exe elevavated it's getting much more data to process monitor.

• Edited by jqx12 Sunday, April 9, 2017 6:21 PM
    Sunday, April 9, 2017 6:21 PM
  • When I run process monitor with filter iexplore.exe as a process name and launch Internet Explorer as a standard user this is all I get. 

Check for the possibility that you have a firewall that is interfering.  Often it seems third-party firewalls for some reason treat requests by iexplore.exe the same that they would requests from suspected Trojans:  (apparently) Ignore and don't record anything.  No one seems to know how to check for that possibility.  Perhaps your .PML trace will show evidence of that if you remove all the filters.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, April 10, 2017 3:26 PM
  • I removed AV software completely and even Windows Firewall is disabled. This would be easier to understand if IE wouldn't work in any way but it works when you run it elevated or use IP address. 
    • Edited by jqx12 Monday, April 10, 2017 3:45 PM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Check if you have any clue in event viewer?

Meanwhile, check if your DNS client service has running fine under Network Service.

Meanwhile, check if the user that is not working have sufficient permission on Hosts file.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:57 AM
  • This didn't help either.

This remains still a mystery but I think that this might have something to do with the following:

- deployment of a custom start menu layout during OS install

- deployment of a custom file associations during OS install

Need to investigate more.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Hello jqx12 The issue turns out to be within the default profile that is used to create new profiles on the machine after sysprep. If you google the words, sysprep IE 11 and windows 10 you will find out others with same issue. It only happens after you sysprep the image, we tried all the suggested fixes but none worked for us so we decided to not sysprep the image, we were very careful in creating the image since we knew we can't sysprep it. We have been using the image now for about 8 months now and it is working perfectly. We also decided to use windows 10 LTSB edition since it brings back some windows 7 functions and is a more stable build. Good luck Best regards Victrix
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:48 PM
  • Hello jqx12 The issue turns out to be within the default profile that is used to create new profiles on the machine after sysprep. If you google the words, sysprep IE 11 and windows 10 you will find out others with same issue. It only happens after you sysprep the image, we tried all the suggested fixes but none worked for us so we decided to not sysprep the image, we were very careful in creating the image since we knew we can't sysprep it. We have been using the image now for about 8 months now and it is working perfectly. We also decided to use windows 10 LTSB edition since it brings back some windows 7 functions and is a more stable build. Good luck Best regards Victrix
    I believe this is why we are experiencing this issue. Is there a fix for the machines that have already been imaged?
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 2:11 PM
  • Hello Hal

Sadly not a good one, the only way we figured out was to make the user local admin and set so that Internet Explorer always Run as Administrator. We had to do this for machines already launched with the image but we re-did our image and this time we went with Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (this way we got rid of the app store and Edge browser).

Good luck

Thursday, August 31, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Giving our users local admin rights is not an option for us...oh joy! Thanks
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 2:49 PM
  • Yeah it was a nightmare for us when we figured out it was the only way. Hopefully you don't have that many machines deployed with the image. Also good for you to know that the issues exists in all Win 10 versions and builds.
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 3:00 PM