transaction logs are not being truncated in Exchange 2010 after the backup completes RRS feed

• Question

• we are using BackUp Exec 2010 to backup our Excange 2010 (Standard) server.  It is running on an ESX VSphere 4.0.0 

When checing the logs, all logs were truncated/flushed with the exception of DB3 which still shows logs for the last several days.

When the backup completed the following warnings/errors were logged: 

Error category  : Resource Errors
    Error : e000032d - The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log has failed. You should check for possible data corruption in the transaction log that is online.
    For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-813

When performing a backup of Microsoft Exchange with Backup Exec for Windows Servers, the error "0xe000032d - The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log has failed." appears in the job log.

Exact Error Message
    0xe000032d - The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log has failed. You should check for possible data corruption in the transaction log that is online.

Details:

When performing a backup of Microsoft Exchange using Backup Exec, the following error occurs:

0xe000032d - The consistency check of the snapshot for he Microsoft Exchange transaction log has failed.
    What is the possible solution to repair/correct the error in the transaction log?
    Thank you,
    Daniel Ross

Friday, April 16, 2010 10:27 PM

Answers

• Have you tried to dismount and mount the db's ?

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration | MCITP: EMA | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog
    • Marked as answer by Allen Song Monday, April 26, 2010 2:18 AM
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

You can dismount the database (DB3), and clear the log files. Then remount the database to generate a new sequence of log files.

Thanks

Allen

• Proposed as answer by Allen Song Monday, April 26, 2010 2:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Allen Song Monday, April 26, 2010 2:19 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:03 AM
  • The issue Clearly indicates that the LOG files are Corrupt.

Kindly Clear the Log FIles andsd than Remount the Log FIles and After this it Should Work without any issues.

Regards

Fazal Muhammad Khan | MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS | Infrastructure Consultant, Technology Services | CDC Pakistan Ltd. | https://fazalmkhan.spaces.live.com | OFFICE: +92 21 111 111 500 Ext: 1402 | +5 GMT
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:19 AM

All replies

• have u tried using windows backup to see if it truncates the logs ?
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 12:08 AM
  • Have you tried to dismount and mount the db's ?

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration | MCITP: EMA | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog
    • Marked as answer by Allen Song Monday, April 26, 2010 2:18 AM
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:41 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

I have Running Exchange 2010 in a Hyper-V environement and Backup the Exchange 2010 also with Backup Exec 2010. I don't have these issues.

Do you have applied Update Rollup 2 / 3 for Exchange 2010?

Regards Andres

-- MCSE 2003 MCSA 2003 Messaging MCITP: Enterpise Administrator MCTS: Windows Server 2008 MCTS: Exchange Server 2007 Configuration MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 VCP - VMWare Certified Professional
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

You can dismount the database (DB3), and clear the log files. Then remount the database to generate a new sequence of log files.

Thanks

Allen

• Proposed as answer by Allen Song Monday, April 26, 2010 2:19 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:03 AM
  • The issue Clearly indicates that the LOG files are Corrupt.

Kindly Clear the Log FIles andsd than Remount the Log FIles and After this it Should Work without any issues.

Regards

Fazal Muhammad Khan | MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS | Infrastructure Consultant, Technology Services | CDC Pakistan Ltd. | https://fazalmkhan.spaces.live.com | OFFICE: +92 21 111 111 500 Ext: 1402 | +5 GMT
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Hi To All,

I experience the same. What did they meant by clearing the log files? Does this mean include the checkpoint (.chk) file and all other files? Pls. confirm.

Thank you very much. Awaiting for your replies guys!

Regards,

Rave

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:06 AM
  • I experience the same.  Instead of clearing logs.  I tried with Windows Backup and my backup is done with log truncation.  
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:36 AM
  • I thought i'd respond to your response.  I have the same issue.  I know how to dismount the DB, but in log file clearing.  Is it simply just going to the folder and deleting?  Or is there a certain way to clear the logs.  I have heard of people clearing logs and things get worse...not better.

Jeff

Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:35 PM
  • This is a  very simple fix.

In order to correct this problem, you need to manually truncate the Transaction logs on only the database that is failing consistancy checks with BackupExec.

To do this, you want to follow the following proceedure:

1.  Turn on Circular Logging on the database with the corrupt Transaction Logs.

2.  Dismount the database to allow Circular Logging change to take effect

3. Either wait the 90 seconds for Transaction Syncing to auto occur, or you can manually restart the information store service to allow the change to happen immidiately.

4.  Remount the database.

5.  Check the Transaction Logs  they should now be cleared with the exception of the last 3 or 4 logs Exchange needed in order to remount the database.

6.  Turn off Circular logging. (This will allow the logs to restart with a new sequencing)

7.  Repeat steps 2 - 4

8.  Run a Full backup

Backups should now be successful.

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by MM-NickC Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:55 PM
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Hi To All,

I experience the same. What did they meant by clearing the log files? Does this mean include the checkpoint (.chk) file and all other files? Pls. confirm.

Thank you very much. Awaiting for your replies guys!

Regards,

Rave

I wondered the same - if I were to delete the logfiles manually - do I also delete the .CHK file too?  I'm guessing that would be a yes.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Hello Creationvr,

I wonder if this procedure works for a DAG too?

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:35 PM