Skype and Vista RC2 Sound Stutter RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Vista RC2 and the sound is great and does not stutter at all for most things, videos, music, etc.  The only place I run into sound stuttering is Skype.  Also ran into some skipping on a java based application that has microphone conferencing.

Why would only skype stutter but all other programs run just fine?

Specs -
    AMD 64 3500+
    Abit Via K8T800 Pro
    X800 Pro 256mb AGP8x
    120GB SATA HD
    Realtek Ac97 Onboard Audio

Although I have the ac97 onboard audio i am using the DSP-500 USB headset.  I have tried both with the headset and with the realtek ac97 both stutter the same.  Anyone else experiencing this?  I can't be the only one.

I have tried updating VIA RAID CONTROLLER, AC97 Drivers, CPU Driver, SATA Driver, Graphics Driver, Ethernet Driver.

Any advice?

Friday, November 10, 2006 7:32 AM

All replies

• I'm facing the same problem with :

P4 2.4
    Via p4pb 800 (build it via ac97)
    ATI Radeon 1600xt

Sunday, November 12, 2006 10:43 PM
  • Not sure how but I had this problem but don't know. I installed a third-party HD audio driver for Vista Beta dated circa this summer, I then uninstalled that and installed the old XP driver (which, not surprisingly, didn't work) based on a suggestion I found in another newsgroup. I then deleted that driver and let Vista re-install its native HD audio driver. Sound now works with Skype and other apps.

I know this makes no obvious sense but thought that I should pass it on in case it could do the same for others. Vista developers might be able to figure out from this sequence what might be happening. There is a problem here.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 3:04 AM