none
Monitoring memory limit for SQL Server 2014 Express

Question

• Which perfmon counters or sys views should I monitor to see if I am getting close to Express edition's 1 GB limit?

There is a plethora of ways to "count" SQL Server's memory usage, but it is unclear for me to which of these the 1 GB limit applies.

Cross box scale limits just says this:

"Maximum memory utilized (per instance of SQL Server Database Engine)": 1 GB

For example, this:

SELECT Type, Name, pages_kb, Virtual_Memory_reserved_kb, Virtual_Memory_committed_kb

FROM   sys.dm_os_memory_clerks

Provides 3 very different numbers for each clerk.

I am asking because I am seeing "AppDomain unloaded due to memory pressure" errors when using the GEOMETRY type, but I am unsure if the instance is actually constrained by the 1 GB memory limit or if something else is going on.

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:48 PM

All replies

• -> Check below articles,

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176018.aspx

https://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/jonathan/how-much-memory-does-my-sql-server-actually-need/

Regards;
    -------------
    Vivek Janakiraman, https://jbswiki.com/

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:40 AM
  • Hi Thomas,

>>"Maximum memory utilized (per instance of SQL Server Database Engine)": 1 GB

From what I can tell the 1GB limit applies to the buffer pool as described in this blog.

>> AppDomain unloaded due to memory pressure

Did you mean you are seeing things like ‘AppDomain 2046 (mssqlsystemresource.sys[runtime].5045) is marked for unload due to memory pressure. ‘ in SQL Server error log? From what I see, if you are not seeing this frequently, it should be safe to ignore. Otherwise I would suggest you review this kb article first.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 5:30 AM
  • Only One

select * from sys.dm_os_process_memory

It has two main columns

1. physical_memory_in_use_kb--Gives you physical memory used by SQL Server

2. virtual_address_space_committed_kb--Gives you total memory used RAM+Page file by SQL Server

The first column is one you should look for memory utilization.

Also note the limit is exactly not 1 GB, database engine can use more than 1 GB in express.

Regarding appdomain yes you might be facing memory pressure 

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:53 AM