How is MS Word recognizing a text as a Heading? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a word document with a custom style which is based on {No Style}.

Also when I click on Modify Style -> Format -> Paragraph, the outline level is set to "Body Text"

According to my understanding, Word determines headings from the outline levels (1-9).

But word is still somehow recognizing the text as some heading and while saving as PDF, and keeping "Create Bookmarks using Headings" option ON, it is also creating a bookmark.

I tried very hard but could not figure out, how word is treating this custom style as a Heading. Can somebody help me in figure it out?
    Also is there any way to share my word document? I do not see any option to upload the file.

Saturday, April 15, 2017 5:18 PM

Answers

• The outline level of an individual paragraph can be different from the outline level of the paragraph's style. So that is one way the problem could arise in theory. In practice, you would have had to change the style accidentally, which seems unlikely. You can use Outline view to check the levels.

Peter Jamieson

One quick way to check is to use the View Formatting tools available in Word. They will let you view the formatting and determine the source.

Word's Reveal Formatting Tools

You are correct that Word determines headings by outline level.

If you have the AutoFormat as you type option turned on, heading formatting may be getting into your document that way as well.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:13 PM

All replies

• Word will recognise paragraphs that have a Heading Style applied as headings, regardless of whether they're numbered. If that's not the issue in this case, you could upload the file to OneDrive (delete anything sensitive) and post a link here.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, April 16, 2017 7:47 AM
  • The outline level of an individual paragraph can be different from the outline level of the paragraph's style. So that is one way the problem could arise in theory. In practice, you would have had to change the formatting accidentally, which seems unlikely. You can use Outline view to check the levels.

Peter Jamieson

Sunday, April 16, 2017 3:13 PM
  • Hi hmittal92,

from the description of the thread, it looks like your issue is related Word Application.

this forum only handles issues regarding Word object Model.

so for better response and better solution for your issue, I move this thread to Word it pro discussions forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 2:48 AM
  • The outline level of an individual paragraph can be different from the outline level of the paragraph's style. So that is one way the problem could arise in theory. In practice, you would have had to change the style accidentally, which seems unlikely. You can use Outline view to check the levels.

Peter Jamieson

One quick way to check is to use the View Formatting tools available in Word. They will let you view the formatting and determine the source.

Word's Reveal Formatting Tools

You are correct that Word determines headings by outline level.

If you have the AutoFormat as you type option turned on, heading formatting may be getting into your document that way as well.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Even if the paragraph style is not defined as a heading, because its Outline Level is set to "Body Text," it is still possible that some other Outline Level has been applied as direct formatting. Click inside the problem paragraph and press Ctrl+Q (which runs the ResetPara command). Does that help?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:48 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the reply.

This answers my question.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:37 AM