Limiting audio to non-administrator accounts RRS feed

• Question

• My kids like to jack the volume up way too loud on the system they use for games. I want to restrict their access to volume control on the system. Is there a way to do this without a third party app?
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:25 PM

Answers

• The goal is to restrict access to the Windows volume control while allowing them to raise the physical volume on the speaker. They can take it as high or low as they like but the computer won't put out any more sound than I allow. I'd set the speakers to max and adjust the system to where I wanted the limit, therby making 100% speaker volume the accepted max.

The main culprit of the volume is 2, he's still in training. His brother is 6 and knows better but still goes a little too loud at times. In thinking about it, I'm just going to remove it from the system tray on their account. They already are prevented from opening any snap-ins so that should do it.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:33 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:18 AM

All replies

• My kids like to jack the volume up way too loud on the system they use for games. I want to restrict their access to volume control on the system. Is there a way to do this without a third party app?
    Hi

You could probably restrict their access to the volume control component, but this could easily be bypassed by simply reaching for the volume control knob on the physical speakers.

The better solution to this would be behavior modification on the physical entities. J

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:46 PM
  • The goal is to restrict access to the Windows volume control while allowing them to raise the physical volume on the speaker. They can take it as high or low as they like but the computer won't put out any more sound than I allow. I'd set the speakers to max and adjust the system to where I wanted the limit, therby making 100% speaker volume the accepted max.

The main culprit of the volume is 2, he's still in training. His brother is 6 and knows better but still goes a little too loud at times. In thinking about it, I'm just going to remove it from the system tray on their account. They already are prevented from opening any snap-ins so that should do it.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:33 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Hi

Sounds like a good plan. :)

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:10 AM