none
why does my sub-projects open in read only when master is opened RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a master schedule with 4 sub-projects inserted as read only.

My problem is that when the master is opened the sub-projects will only open in read only so PMs can not update their schedules when requried.

I have sold my company on using master schedules and ow it doesnt work any better.  I have not had this problem previous using MSP 2010 so can anyone help me please.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:53 AM

Answers

• Krys --

In your first sentence, you stated that you inserted the four subprojects in Read Only mode.  That is the answer to your question.  Remove the four subprojects from the master project and then reinsert the in Read/Write mode and that should solve your problem.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:32 AM
  • Krys,

When you "sold" your company on using a dynamic master, did you also inform them of the potential pitfalls? Dynamic master file structures are fragile and subject to corruption if not created and maintained with the utmost discipline. Never move, rename, overwrite, or save off any of the files in the structure. It is also a good idea to keep all files in a single folder on a local drive, sharing linked structures over a network is a bad idea.

As long as everyone who has write access to the files in the structure understand the above, you should be okay. However, if not, you should consider creating a static master which is created by unchecking the "link to project" in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:10 PM

All replies

• Krys --

In your first sentence, you stated that you inserted the four subprojects in Read Only mode.  That is the answer to your question.  Remove the four subprojects from the master project and then reinsert the in Read/Write mode and that should solve your problem.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:32 AM
  • Krys,

When you "sold" your company on using a dynamic master, did you also inform them of the potential pitfalls? Dynamic master file structures are fragile and subject to corruption if not created and maintained with the utmost discipline. Never move, rename, overwrite, or save off any of the files in the structure. It is also a good idea to keep all files in a single folder on a local drive, sharing linked structures over a network is a bad idea.

As long as everyone who has write access to the files in the structure understand the above, you should be okay. However, if not, you should consider creating a static master which is created by unchecking the "link to project" in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:10 PM
  • Dale

I have to have the sub-projects read only in the master so that individual PMs can update their projects independently of each other and the PMO.

I use the Master as a reporting tool and for linking dependencies between the projects and other external projects.

I have fixed this problem but have reaslied that if I have the Master open which has the sub-project inserted as read only I can not then open a sub-project and edit it.

Other PMs are able to but not the person who has the master open.

Thanks for your help though it is much appreciated.

Monday, August 11, 2014 6:07 AM
  • Krys,

You are using a dynamic master and that may not be necessary nor the best choice in your situation. You say you use the master as a reporting tool and for creating links between subprojects. I have a suggestion. When you need to create cross-project links, go ahead and create a dynamic master, make the links and then save, but don't close, each the subproject file. That will preserve the links you just make. Now close the master and when it asks if you want to save changes to all files, answer "no to all". Finally delete the master, it is no longer needed to maintain those links and in fact, having a dynamic master creates another level in the linking structure and thus increases the chance of file corruption.

When you need to do your reporting, create a static master. Simply uncheck the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window. That will create a separate file that is a snapshot in time of all the subproject files. The advantage is that you have not created a linked structure and thus have not added to the corruption dice roll, as Rod Gill (MVP) likes to say. And yes, you will have to create a new static master each reporting period, but that is easily automated with a recorded macro, if doing it manually is a burden.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, August 11, 2014 3:19 PM