RIS missing from Components RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Folks

This is my first post so hopefully following correct protocol etc.

I've seached the site for resolutions or pointers but not found anything.

I have a 2003 server (std edt) SP2 and wanted to install the WDS components but noticed RIS wasn't present in the components list (advised to have this installed).

Anyone able to help me out here?

Thanks

Sean

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

RIS has been replaced by WDS since SP2 for Server 2003. So if you install the WDS components everything is well.

Greetings

Christian
    Christian Groebner MVP Forefront
    • Marked as answer by Tim Quan Monday, November 16, 2009 2:26 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Hi Sean,

RIS has been replaced by WDS since SP2 for Server 2003. So if you install the WDS components everything is well.

Greetings

Christian

To expand on this, WDS in Server03 has three modes of operation. "Legacy Mode", which is equivelent to RIS funtionality. "Mixed Mode", which is both RIS functionality and the new WDS functionality together, and "Native Mode", which is the new WDS functionality only.

WDS in Server08 and later only support "Native Mode" - so if you have plans to upgrade this server you'll eventually need to get to "Native Mode" functionality.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Sean,

Greetings

Christian
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Greetings

Christian

To expand on this, WDS in Server03 has three modes of operation. "Legacy Mode", which is equivelent to RIS funtionality. "Mixed Mode", which is both RIS functionality and the new WDS functionality together, and "Native Mode", which is the new WDS functionality only.

WDS in Server08 and later only support "Native Mode" - so if you have plans to upgrade this server you'll eventually need to get to "Native Mode" functionality.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated - I'm now off to get NATIVE with the server!

Cheers
    Sean
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:41 AM