none
You do not have permission to access \\server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I am facing a very weird issue. I will try to be as detailed as I can.

I have had an issue every morning where I am unable to browse out to \\server from my PC. I get an error that says you do not have permission to access the network recourse. Normally, I just reboot my computer, and I am all set, Today, I decided to try and figure out what is happening. I have all files shared out with proper rights and access. I fist used remote Desktop to remotely connect to my server. This worked perfectly fine, so I know the server is alive and online. The Next thing I did was just to make sure I could access my data drive. I could. I closed remote desktop, and all of a sudden I found I was able to now browse out to \\server with no issues.  MY Question is this.

1: I obviously didnt do anything to permissions, so why would it just start working withoout me doing anything?

2: At some point through the night it lost permissions(as of last night I was able to access the server) Nothing happened in the interim, This is a daily occurrence, why is this happening? Is there anything I should be looking for?

Thanks

Bob

Monday, February 18, 2019 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob...

When you are unable to contact the server in Windows Explorer have you previously tried ANY activity that uses your network connection, such as Windows Explorer - Network view? Perhaps your system is putting your NIC to sleep and you must first awaken it. Look through all the settings in Control Panel - Power and check the properties of the NIC itself in Control Panel - Network and Sharing - Change Adapter Settings.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 12:02 AM
  • Hi,

If possible, I would recommend you to re-start system in Clean Boot, with all 3rd party process disabled, and do not manually start them. Then, confirm that if you can re-produce such problem again.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/331796/perform-a-clean-startup-to-determine-whether-background-programs-are-i

> I am unable to browse out to \\server from my PC
    Try to browse your server via IP address instead of name and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang    

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 22, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, February 25, 2019 8:49 AM