Exchange 2003 repopulating inbox RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2003 (SBS 2003 R2)

On a somewhat regular basis we have a single user who has his messages moved backed into his inbox after he had moved the messages into subfolders. So the messages are taken from the subfolders and moved back to the main inbox. The user gets a lot of emails in a week and so this causes some issues as he has to reorganize all these emails. It seems to happen over the weekend. Specifically we think early Saturday morning. Out Exchange server is scheduled to do maintenance at this time. No other user has reported a problem. We've recreated all of his Outlook profiles and such. Eseutil didn't find any errors. We've done an offline defrag. Online defrag happens daily. We've turned off cached mode for Outlook. Turned it back on too. 

I know this is a weird situation. We've tried everything it seems like and this still happens.

What does Exchange maintenance actually do? Can we turn it off and what are the consequences? Anything else to check for? We're planning to upgrade the server in the new year but we'd like to have this fixed.

Jim

Monday, October 1, 2012 7:55 PM

All replies

• What does maintenance do? This is for E2K10 but the basic tasks are the same (database is still ESE) and the author explains what has changed with respect to previous verisons (like 2003).

If you turn of maintenance, those tasks would not be completed.

What is your maintenance schedule (not familiar with SBS so not sure if you would see that in the same place as a "simple" Exchange installation)?

Is your SBS installation patched with the latest updates? Once again, not being an SBS guy, I'm not sure if SBS R2 brings E2K3 to the latest patch level or not.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, October 1, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Hello Jim,

I don't think this issue is caused by maintenance.

Are all the emails move back from subfolder to inbox?

Follow this document to enable audit on problem mailbox, this can help us confirm that not other users have logged on and moved the emails back from subfolder to inbox:

Auditing Mailbox Access Using Exchange System Manager and Event Viewer

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/auditing-mailbox-access-exchange-system-manager-event-viewer.html

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 5:50 AM
  • By default the system does an online defrag daily and on Saturday mornings its set to do maintenance..

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:39 PM