New Installation of WIndows 2012 R2 Update Services, no clients reporting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I need some help with the following. We have been using the WSUS 3.0 server on windows 2003 for a very long time. Now it is time to replace it with Windows 2012 R2 updates services, comming with the 2012 R2 server. We have a pretty straight forward environment so i did not see the need to migrate databases etc. I simply replaced the existing WSUS serve rwith a new one with the same ip addresses etc. My idea was that the clients would register to the new server and then i could continue. However it looks like no clients are Reporting to the new server at all. Nothing should need to be changed at the client side.

I have tested if i can the new WSUS server from the client and also if i can access it on port 80. Both is the case.

On  one of the server i ran the following WSUS cleanup script to see if the client would report to the new WSUS, but also that did not work.

Am i overlooking something or is the new WSUS server not working properly?
    Is any additional configuration needed when configuring 2012 R2 update services?
    How can i troubleshoot besides the two things i have already done?

Your help is appreciated !

Cleanupscript:

@Echo off
    echo Stopping Windows update service
    net stop wuauserv
    echo Registering DLLs
    regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
    echo Cleaning Software distribution folders
    c:
    cd %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
    rd /s/q DataStore
    mkdir DataStore
    rd /s/q Download
    mkdir Download
    echo Deleting old WSUS ID (if any)
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v PingID /f
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v SusClientId /f
    Echo Starting service
    net start wuauserv
    Echo Forcing detection
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    echo Ready

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 9:02 AM

Answers

• Am 05.11.2014 schrieb jawikoNPK:

I need some help with the following. We have been using the WSUS 3.0 server on windows 2003 for a very long time. Now it is time to replace it with Windows 2012 R2 updates services, comming with the 2012 R2 server. We have a pretty straight forward environment so i did not see the need to migrate databases etc. I simply replaced the existing WSUS serve rwith a new one with the same ip addresses etc. My idea was that the clients would register to the new server and then i could continue. However it looks like no clients are Reporting to the new server at all. Nothing should need to be changed at the client side.

I have tested if i can the new WSUS server from the client and also if i can access it on port 80. Both is the case.

WSUS on W2012R2 will install on Port 8530 by default. Did you have set
    up the Port in your GPO?

http://yourWSUS:8530

Servus
    Winfried

Gruppenrichtlinien
    WSUS Package Publisher
    HowTos zum WSUS Package Publisher
    NNTP-Bridge für MS-Foren

• Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, November 24, 2014 9:38 AM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:06 PM

All replies

• Am 05.11.2014 schrieb jawikoNPK:

WSUS on W2012R2 will install on Port 8530 by default. Did you have set
    up the Port in your GPO?

http://yourWSUS:8530

Servus
    Winfried

Gruppenrichtlinien
    WSUS Package Publisher
    HowTos zum WSUS Package Publisher
    NNTP-Bridge für MS-Foren

• Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, November 24, 2014 9:38 AM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

We've not heard from you yet. I assume the information provided by Winfried has helped. I am marking this reply as answered now.

In case the information did not help, please feel free to unmark the answer and come back to us with your comments.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 24, 2014 9:39 AM