Cannot install SP Designer 2013 - Missing Component Detected (Prompting to install .NET Framework 4) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am encountering issues installing SharePoint Designer 2013 on my PC after upgrading our farm from SP 2010>2013.

I already had .NET Framework 4.6.1 on the computer when I went to install the newer version of Designer.  When I try to launch the program, however, I receive a message box titled 'Missing Component Detected' which goes on to say:

'SharePoint Designer requires the following component to be installed:

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4

To download and install this component, follow the hyperlink above.'

The issue, of course, is that I already have a later version of the framework installed.  One would expect that that wouldn't cause any problems with the installation, but I can't seem to find a way around this error. 

I've tried removing the newer version of the .NET Framework from my PC, but that didn't go as well as I would have hoped.  I ended up having to use a removal utility as I could not uninstall it from Programs and Features (I was being prompted to remove the Client Profile first, which was not even listed).  Then while reinstalling the .NET Framework 4 from the link in the message box, I could get the .NET Framework Core but the Extended installation would not complete properly.  I started installing later versions of the Framework one-by-one and continued to receive the same error each time when running SP Designer 2013.  

Is there something I'm missing here?  One of my colleagues, on the same image as me, is encountering the issue as well and cannot get his designer working.  It seems like the issue stems from having a newer version of .NET Framework installed prior to installing the Designer.  My other colleague is on a much older image that our company no longer uses, and was able to install the software without issue.

I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing, or anything else I can do before asking to have a fresh Windows installation (which would likely involve having a new image built) for me and my colleagues' PCs.

This is the closest thing I could find to resembling my issue, but this seems to apply to the SharePoint 2013 install on the server and not the Designer.  (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3087184)

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

• Edited by jriv204 Thursday, October 6, 2016 4:27 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 4:25 PM

Answers