Can't install application (or run ProcMon) while monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to update an application that we have virtualized.  I start monitoring, and try to run the vendors patching utility, and get an error about resource "Version" could not be found.  On the same machine, however, if I am not monitoring, it opens fine.  So, trying to find out what was going on, I tried running ProcMon (while monitoring).....  no dice.  ProcMon tells me it could not load the drivers.

So here are the questions:

1.) Any idea why this would be happening, and what can I do to resolve?

2.) If I were to start the patch utility / ProcMon, THEN start monitoring, would it still capture the upgrade?  (by the way, the patch utility builds a command line, which calls itself with the proper arguments, so it still may not even install while monitoring).  

The vendor has a much older version of the patch utility, which they've told me not to use (I still had it from a previous version - like I said, all it does is build a command line to install the patch), which will run during Monitoring.

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hello,

1. It is probably checking a specific file / registry key that may be excluded during packaging. Try to locate which one it is

2. The sequencer only monitors new process - if you start a process before monitoring, it is not new. Start Procmon before you start the sequencer once to load the driver.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Monday, April 23, 2012 6:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Mangum Monday, April 23, 2012 7:16 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Actually, I figured out what I needed to do - I was trying to run both from network locations.  Copying locally resolved both issues.  I still wonder why they wouldn't run networked though.

znack did answer the second question though.  Just to be clear - the utility doesn't actually install anything, it runs the install.  So the hope was that running the utility, starting monitoring, then running the install would work.  However, the utility stopped working once monitoring started :(

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:15 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1. It is probably checking a specific file / registry key that may be excluded during packaging. Try to locate which one it is

2. The sequencer only monitors new process - if you start a process before monitoring, it is not new. Start Procmon before you start the sequencer once to load the driver.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Monday, April 23, 2012 6:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Mangum Monday, April 23, 2012 7:16 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Actually, I figured out what I needed to do - I was trying to run both from network locations.  Copying locally resolved both issues.  I still wonder why they wouldn't run networked though.

znack did answer the second question though.  Just to be clear - the utility doesn't actually install anything, it runs the install.  So the hope was that running the utility, starting monitoring, then running the install would work.  However, the utility stopped working once monitoring started :(

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:15 PM