An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I start my 64 bit Vista Ultimate system part way through the boot
    process up pops Windows Boot Manager to tell me:-

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
    cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
    2. choose your language settings, then click "Next."
    3. click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer
    manufacturer for assistance>

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration
    data."

I have followed the instructions to fix this error properly, yet I do not get the option to REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER...my two options are:

Restore System from factory default...or
    Exit

I'd rather not restore as I will lose all my data.

Can anyone help me with a way to proceed from here?
    Thanks so much in advance!!
    Monday, April 11, 2011 7:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try the following methods:

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

============================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER. 

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore (If System Restore is enabled on your computer)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, April 15, 2011 10:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the following methods:

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER. 

Method 3: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore (If System Restore is enabled on your computer)

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, April 15, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Hi I follow method 1 above and it workes for me...BUT a day or so later the same error appears and I have to insert a recovery disc again. Does anyone know what steps I can take to see what is causing this problem....Is there some process of elimination or something?
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:42 PM