none
Resource time management RRS feed

• Question

• [b]Hi All,

I have Resources working for us 8 hours a day as for day to day job but they have free times as well.
    I want to assign tasks to them outside of their day to day job. So after I asked them how much time you can offer to me after you finished your day to day job to allocate that time for working on a project I got the following answers:

Resource1=2 hours a day
    Resource2=1 hours a day
    Resource3=0.5 hours a day
    Resource4=1 hours a day
    ... and so on

Now how can I set this up on MS project 2010. I know you can play around the availability of a resource on a specific task as percentage to extend the total task time. But what I want to do, is pre-setup my resource before hand which means he/she cannot offer more than 2 hours a day. So when I assign him/her a task I want to be able to assign the number of hours that a task needs to be done and MS Project automatically looks at the time that each resources can offer and calculate the number of days which allocated resource needs to finish the task. 

hope make sense

Cheers

Ali[/b]
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Ali,

You can use Max Units field to set availability of each resources. While setting up resources (in resource Sheet) set the Max Units.  If resource is available to work 8 hours then set max units to 100%, for 4hrs set 50% and 2 hrs set 25% and so on.

Thanks,

Kiran K.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Hi Ali,

Setting the max units in Resource Sheet may help but you will still be abe to assign the resource to a larger ercentages - with Project just telling you the resource is overallocated.

If you really want Project to use only the possible hours you habve to change the resource calendar (Project ribbon, Change Working time, select resouce calendar, work weeks, Detail) such that the working time by day is only the number of hours possible.

Greetings,

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 1:19 PM