none
Migrating MIM from one server to another (2008 R2 OS to 2012 R2) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I currently have FIM 2010 R2 in my environment, and long term I want to move our identity management to either a server 2012 R2 or server 2016 server, depending on what is most suitable at the time.  All that we currently have is the sync service - the MIM service / portal etc are not installed, though I want to install them in the future.,

FIM 2010 R2 is currently installed on a 2008 R2 server.  I tried in a test environment to install MIM 2016 fresh and migrate, but failed.  I decided that our best course of action was simply to do an in-place upgrade of FIM to MIM 2016 without changing services, and then later look at migrating the newly-installed MIM to a newer OS and SQL database version.  The inplace upgrade in my test environment was trivial.

Unfortunately, I can't find any guidance for doing so.  Before I actually make my recommendation to the business, I want to just get a feeling of how difficult it would be to migrate MIM 2016 from a 2008 R2 server to 2012 R2 (or 2016 if supported).

Since I plan to install the MIM service and portal, I'm also wondering about the difficulty to migrate those; should I install those on my 2008 R2 server once I've upgraded the sync service, or should I wait until I've migrated MIM to another server and install them there?  I don't know how much effort it takes to migrate the extra services...

Friday, January 15, 2016 12:36 AM

Answers

• Hello,

since you want to migration not only FIM to MIM but also upgrade to new OS Version, I would do a fresh install of MIM on the new Server OS and re-use the databases.

Thats the migrations I've always do, like the product was calles MIIS.

A inplace upgrade is also possible but I would avoid that, but thats only my personal opinion.

So for re-use database, just copy over the SyncDB to the new Server, install MIM freshly and select re-use DB in the setup, remember to create the SyncEngine Encryption Keys as setup will ask for them on re-use DB.

After that you can directly install Portal/Service on the new machine. Why setup a fresh service and migrate them directly, that more effort and more things can go wrong.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by AnirbanSingha Friday, January 15, 2016 7:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Gareth.T Sunday, January 17, 2016 7:55 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 1:59 PM
  • Agree with Peter. Backup your database and configuration, do a clean install of the OS, and install MIM to pointing to the existing databases.  When you perform your database backup, I would recommend making sure no management agents are running and as Peter says, make sure you have your synchronization service encryption key.

Consider reviewing the short and easy read on the items you should backup prior to your upgrade:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fim-2010-backup-and-restore-guide(v=ws.10).aspx

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Saturday, January 16, 2016 12:07 AM

All replies

• Hello,

since you want to migration not only FIM to MIM but also upgrade to new OS Version, I would do a fresh install of MIM on the new Server OS and re-use the databases.

Thats the migrations I've always do, like the product was calles MIIS.

A inplace upgrade is also possible but I would avoid that, but thats only my personal opinion.

So for re-use database, just copy over the SyncDB to the new Server, install MIM freshly and select re-use DB in the setup, remember to create the SyncEngine Encryption Keys as setup will ask for them on re-use DB.

After that you can directly install Portal/Service on the new machine. Why setup a fresh service and migrate them directly, that more effort and more things can go wrong.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by AnirbanSingha Friday, January 15, 2016 7:12 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 1:59 PM
  • Agree with Peter. Backup your database and configuration, do a clean install of the OS, and install MIM to pointing to the existing databases.  When you perform your database backup, I would recommend making sure no management agents are running and as Peter says, make sure you have your synchronization service encryption key.

Consider reviewing the short and easy read on the items you should backup prior to your upgrade:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fim-2010-backup-and-restore-guide(v=ws.10).aspx

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Saturday, January 16, 2016 12:07 AM
  • Thank you both.  This does make more sense, I just could not find any documentation on how to do it.  I'll discuss this approach with our architects instead.

Appreciate it!

Sunday, January 17, 2016 7:55 PM
  • Peter,

I think I'm in the same boat as Gareth and am planning on MIM on a new server (with a new database server as well). Is it safe to say that the setup steps will start like a normal install, but I'll need to make sure that I'm utilizing the same usernames as what I did for the FIM install?  I'm trying to figure out what steps are going to be different and/or missing.  I'm doing this in test environment/domain first of course with backups and snapshots.

-Robert

Friday, May 6, 2016 5:57 PM