Monitor Detection - Single Monitor RRS feed

• Question

• HI Folks,

I know that many similar questions have been asked but my exact problem is a little different.

I am currently at Uni and I am using one monitor to supply my desktop, laptop and xbox, using an HDMI switch and various adapters to get the signal to change on the monitor. The main problem is from my desktop as I have recently upgraded this with Win 7 Pro, and I'm having some issues with the monitor detection when I switch between my 3 devices.

Basically when I turn on the xbox and flick over Win 7 detects that the monitor has been disconnected, and when I go back it detects the monitor again, picks up the resolution and sorts itself out. Except any icons on my desktop are shifted around the place, windows resized into unreadable 800x600 panes. This is something I would like to sort out as its a pain to have to freqently re arrange things outlook so I can read them again. I never had this problem with XP as it would keep the resolution that I was using.

The setup I'm using:

Desktop: Intel i5 3.2ghz, nVidia Geforce GTX 460 OC 1GB DDR5, 4GB DDR3 RAM (Think thats all thats related as I am using a seperate graphics, let me know if you need more)

Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster P2350 23" 1920x1080 res

Connections: Dvi - HDMI lead from graphics card to HDMI switch then a HDMI to DVI from switch to monitor.

All I am really looking for is not so much a way to turn off monitor detection but to just have it so it keeps the resolution at 1920x1080 saving me having to move and resize all my windows frequently.

Any ideas?

Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:28 PM