none
DPM to DPM, how to create an exact 'mirror' of the primary DPM server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm in the process of setting up a secondary DPM 2010 server which will be hosted off-site for disaster recovery purposes. I would like the secondary DPM server to be identical to the primary DPM server. Both servers have the same hardware confiugration with 18TB disk pool. I have read this article here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634186.aspx however it seems complicated in the sense that I would have to re-create ALL the protection groups on the secondary server and manually add every server. All I want to do is mirror the primary DPM server. Is there any easy way to do this?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:12 AM

Answers

• This is exactly my same situation with the 50 DPM hosts in our environment and the 50 Secondaries I need to setup to accomplish this.

http://poshcode.org/3432 might help.  I wrote it to compare the primary and secondary.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:36 AM
  • Hi Curns,

Sroe is right in what he is saying. Secondary DPM server is not setup to mirror the Primary DPM server. It is setup to provide secodnary protection of your protected data from the Primary DPM server. It also can protect your primary DPM such as the DPM database and BMR. Let us know if you need more clarification.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi curns,

not sure what you mean by manually adding every server. Just as described in the link you referenced the only thing you have to do is create the protection group on the secondary dpm after the agent on the primary is installed. Now you will be able to see every server that is protected by the primary DPM server on your secondary DPM server. So the only thing you have to do is create a protection group on your secondary server and mark all servers which you see on your primary DPM server for synchronisation to your secondary DPM. That is it. You don't have to install any agents, or do something on the protected server itself

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Hi Curns,

Sroe is right in what he is saying. Secondary DPM server is not setup to mirror the Primary DPM server. It is setup to provide secodnary protection of your protected data from the Primary DPM server. It also can protect your primary DPM such as the DPM database and BMR. Let us know if you need more clarification.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Hi thanks for the responses.

I guess what I was hoping is there would be an easier way to 'select all'. It would be nice if there was a top-level checkbox you could select which would protect everything that the primary server protects rather than having to manually add each member to the protection group as this can take a while when you have a large environment.

Friday, February 17, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Hi thanks for the responses.

I guess what I was hoping is there would be an easier way to 'select all'. It would be nice if there was a top-level checkbox you could select which would protect everything that the primary server protects rather than having to manually add each member to the protection group as this can take a while when you have a large environment.

Hi Curns,

PowerShell may be an option however I have never done that. Here is a good link that may get you started:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmpowershell/thread/1dd2592e-02c0-4e59-8eaf-a058fd3e3b8e

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:55 PM
  • This is exactly my same situation with the 50 DPM hosts in our environment and the 50 Secondaries I need to setup to accomplish this.

http://poshcode.org/3432 might help.  I wrote it to compare the primary and secondary.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:36 AM

Thanks for sharing Shai.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:15 PM