none
Risk and Issue List Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Risks and Issues lists:  Users will not be able to create an item on the risks or issues list if they do not have the correct permissions in Project Server.

It took me a while to discover that the behavior is expected and documented. 

What I'd like to know is whether there is a good alternative to adding "the world" as enterprise resources.  Our practice has been to keep that list to those who actively participate in projects, which means various management and user groups are not included - though they might be added individually to a project site (even a project plan as a local resource), and as such need the ability to contribute to the Issues and Risks lists.

Thanks in advance...

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:23 PM

All replies

• Westy_kr,

Unfortunately, if you made the choice to have the "Automatic Sync" permissions are enabled between Project Teams and the Project Sites, then you are limited in what the non-team members could do. This is how project sites work differently than any other stand-alone SharePoint Sites.

Even if the user is given direct permissions on the project site, they would be removed on the next publish of the project leaving only the sharepoint level permissions, which are not enough to contribute on standard project issues, risks,documents lists.

So to my knowledge, unless you are willing to either turn-off the auto-sync, or do some custom coding to adjust the permission levels, you are limited to the project team that can access the project site.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:45 PM
  • By default, if you are using Autosync of permissions, a member of the Project team will have viewer rights in the Project Site. Once they have assigned work on a task, their access moves up to contributor.

The Project Permissions function in Project Center only allows for adding others as viewers.

A workaround is to add a 1 hour collaboration task in the plan with the other resources assigned to it so that they are contributors. The downside is that they have to be resources in Project Server and that implies CALs for everyone.

Treb Gatte | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:40 PM