new mailbox should be pop3 disabled in exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

This is very urgent from my client.

Is there any way to disable the pop3 for newly creating mailbox user in exchange 2007?

I do not prefer to disable the pop3 service itself, just want to be disabled for new mailboxes.

your thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks & Regards, Kottees R
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:45 PM

Answers

• There is no option during the provisioning of the account. Your only option is to run a scheduld ps job to run daily for example to disable.
    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Friday, September 23, 2011 7:09 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:26 PM

All replies

• yes, this is possible. please run this command for all new created accounts:

Set-CASMailbox -Identity <alias> -POPEnabled $false

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Hello Thomas,

Thanks for the reply,

But this can be done after creating the mailbox. I just wanted to be disabled by default while creating.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:58 PM
  • There is no option during the provisioning of the account. Your only option is to run a scheduld ps job to run daily for example to disable.
    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Friday, September 23, 2011 7:09 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Thanks for the info James. Have a great day to both of you:)
    Kottees, If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer thanks.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Hi,

if you create a new mail enabled user why not using a script with this commands:

$user=create-mailbox ...

set-CASMailbox -identity $user -POPEnabled $false

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Hi,

thanks again,

yeah we can use that too.. but preference would be EMC.. even I read few articles saying that this is not possible by default.. they were given like creating custom attribute and use filter to differentiate pop enabled and disabled users.. 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to disable pop3 function for all the users(including new user) you can disable Microsoft Exchange POP3 services.

Set-service msExchangePOP3 -startuptype disabled

Stop-service -service msExchangePOP3

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124934.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:51 AM