Some random programs won't start. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using Windows 7 professional. I have a problem, some programs won't start after I launch them (they do start, but they close instantly). When I launch a program, mouse cursor changes to loading cursor for approx 1 second and then changes back to normal cursor. If I open task manager, I can see the process appears for ~1 second and then disappears. So far I have seen this problem to applications. One of them is game counter-strike. I have it for more than one year. Everything was ok, and just one random day that problem occurred. Tried reinstalling it etc etc. nothing helped. So I moved on. Till today, when I wanted to do my research work for university, where I have to download program called "Auto Expenses". Thank god I have Windows XP as a backup option where it works of course, same as counter-strike. I also had this same problem in one other application, but I forgot its name. Oh and by the way all those programs mentioned above work fine on other PCs with Win7.

How do I fix it? I have tried scanning computer with NOD32, Dr.Web, MS Windows Malicious Software Tool, found nothing. Reinstalling all those programs, nothing helps. I know that reinstalling Win7 will definitely help, but I have no time to reinstall all other programs I have.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That seems the issue related with software conflict. I suggest to perform these tests to troubleshoot the issue:

1 Unplug all unnecessary hardware, remove all useless third party tools

2 Login with Clean Boot

3 Also check the programs are compatible with Windows 7 or not, because if the program is not compatible with Windows 7, it will lead to unexpected issue. You can check it on:

Windows 7 Compatibility Center

If the issue persists, you can run SFC /SCANNOW in command prompt to repair your system files.

And if it still not work, I suggest to perform an in-place upgrade to fix your sytem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, March 4, 2011 9:31 AM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:54 AM