Disable file contents scanning (not thumbnail?) in explorer view for .ts files RRS feed

• Question

• I record quite some stuff from TV via DVB-S. The files are .ts video files.

When opening the recording folder windows explorer does scan every video file contents of the recordings, I guessed it does it for thumbnail generation, but I disabled thumbnail generation in the performance panel AND I set the "allways symbols instead of thumbnails" option in explorer. I even took the shell-extension tool from nirsoft to disable all thumbnail handlers, no change.

The problem with Windows 7 scanning every .ts file (some over 10 GB) is that it takes a few minutes until it settles down. I can hear the harddrive working, and in "detail" view it takes ages too until the file date appears. The explorer crashes often on that specific folder since .ts recording are never 100% error free by design (the decoder/converter/player corrects the errors during play).

Not only it takes LONG, I switch to another folder and back and windows tries to do (whatever it tries) again!

Whether I use detail view or list only (both views don't read the thumbnails out of videos and pictures) it still does it.

How can i disable this scanning for file contents for a specific file type?

Editing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.TS\ShellEx did not help, even with all subkeys killed (+reboot) explorer still scans for the file contents.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ts_auto_file only contains "open" with my player and nothing else.

I would LOVE to disable this "useless file contents scanning" of explorer for quite some other file types too, but with .ts it is so bad that it is really needed. I also would LOVE to know what function is really doing the scanning, is it the thumbnail generator, is it the "I get the file date from the contents instead of the file timestamp" function, who designs such things that way ...

FYI: Total Commander/Speed Commander/midnight commander don't do the useless file content scan, but forcing me to use a different program ONLY to enter the that one folder is no solution.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• You could use Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645) to see exactly which process is scanning your .ts files. Simply open Process Monitor, accept the EULA, filter by "Path contains .ts" (to reduce the noise) and then open a folder with TS files in it. When the scanning begins, Process Monitor will register some information. Click, File, Save and upload the PML file to your SkyDrive account (for example) so that I can take a look. 

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert Consumer | http://www.wintecnico.com

Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:23 AM
    Answerer
  • I tried, no need for skydrive, the only thing showing is:

explorer.exe readfile (about 99%)/Queryopen/Query-other-things E:\Aufnahme\Videos\<whatever.ts is scans right now>

It confirms that explorer.exe reads the WHOLE file, readfile goes from zero to EOF for each .ts in blocks of 64 KB.

Sadly it does not show what causes explorer.exe to do this stupid action, nor a hint how to prevent it from trying. It is like "I scan every video file 'cause I think I need to", which is a minor annoyance for .avi .mpg .mkv and the like since they contain valid headers to make the scanning short, but with .ts *sigh*

I whish you good luck finding something real, I didn't.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=401241cfc0f16659#!/?cid=401241cfc0f16659&sc=photos&uc=1&id=401241CFC0F16659!135

Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:45 AM
  • If you double click any Process Monitor entry and choose the Stack tab, you will see the stack trace that caused that file or registry operation (you need good debugging symbols to see a correct trace).

Could you disable the "MF MPEG Property Handler" shell extension using ShellExView and see if that improves the performance?

Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:55 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for showing the direction, this is the result:

It is not listed in shellexview.

Tried: regsvr32 /u mf.dll, reboot, no change.

Delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{1E589E9D-8A8D-46d9-A2F9-E6D4F8161EE9}, reboot, no change (key got recreated..)

The most brutal possible way: rename c:\windows\system32\mf.dll to mf-renamed.dll, reboot.

Success, this is the right track, this speeds up opening the folders, the file contents are not scanned, explorer shows the timestamps instantly and not after scanning the file contents. Luckily all important programs still work (WinTV, Duke Nukem Forever and other games, Libreoffice, internet, fraps).

Now, this most-brutal-way is not the way i prefer, I'd like to control this on a "per file textension" base. For example exclude .bmp too, simply 'cause opening my fraps screenshots folder with several thousand .bmp files after a weekend of gaming is slow too, although not as bad as it was with .ts ..

Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Try excluding .ts files from the indexing options: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-advanced-indexing-options

And Mf.dll is an important system DLL. I don't recommend messing with system DLLs.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Indexing - That is not possible. Indexing is completely disabled on all drives + the service "Windows Search" is deactivated : ). It's deactivation gets confirmed every time I use the explorer search with a "click here to enable index" message.

So it cannot be indexing.

However it must be the same thing/option/function that makes the explorer read the size length and bitrate of mp3 and video files in detail view, or the dimensions from pictures etc. I disabled the columns but windows still scans for that information (except for video and mp3 files now).

'bout mf.dll, yes, microsoft media foundation dll, should be important. That's why I am surprised that my system sill behaves normal, I found nothing which does not work (yet). Since I don't use windows media player I am curious when the first negative effect will appear.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Rename temporarily the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.ts and see if this helps.

And put mf.dll back to its original state. It's a very bad idea to remove it because it's not only used by Windows Media Player. More information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms694197(v=vs.85).aspx

• Marked as answer by Setsunaaa Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:19 PM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:20 PM
    Answerer
  • That was perfect. You got it.

I tested it with .mpg and .bmp too, and explorer.exe does not scan the file contents any more, the directories open and show the date instantly without taking ages to scan the contents.

Thank you !

Sad that your wintecnico blog is Spanish, I don't know if I'll learn Spanish at any point of my life.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:18 PM
  • You're welcome! The trade-off of this solution is that the system won't get metadata for .TS files. This means that file details, infotips and so on won't be displayed accurately.

In case you need this information again, rename the registry back to its original name. I'll research this problem further to see if I can come up with other, potentially better, solutions.

Sad that your wintecnico blog is Spanish, I don't know if I'll learn Spanish at any point of my life.

You can translate any page into English using the Microsoft Translator widget on the right. I'm also planning to write a blog in English, and I think it will be available soon!

Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Indexing is completely disabled on all drives + the service "Windows Search" is deactivated
    Could this be the cause of the problem? If you allow Windows Search to index these files' properties, then the scan that's annoying you will happen once only. After that, Explorer can simply extract the data from the ADS or the index to display them if necessary. And as you've noticed, video files in particular have lots of innate properties. AIUI, Search isn't only "I want to find a file" - it's used by other processes too, so disabling it will affect other things happening on your machine.

Noel
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Might be true, I might test that if my mood kicks in. But indexing is generally disabled since it tended to start indexing at the wrong times, like indexed .bmp/.jpg/.png from fraps during gaming, tried indexing .ts or .mpg files while recording, kept reindexing .ts files over and over again since it crashed during scan (like the explorer mentioned above), indexed slow usb drives although it shouldn't - overall a lot more problems than good.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:44 PM

• You can translate any page into English using the Microsoft Translator widget on the right. I'm also planning to write a blog in English, and I think it will be available soon!

Welllll... When it is as good as the automatic support.microsoft.com/kb/<numer> translation I am not sure whether it would be better to learn spanish. If I know the kb number I always use support.microsoft.com/kb/<numer>/en-us to get what I really have to do.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:47 PM
  • it tended to start indexing at the wrong times, like ... during gaming,

I use Brandon Paddock's little gadget to keep track of what the indexer is up to. If I'm embarking on something I don't want the indexer to disturb, it's one click to stop it. I find Windows Search, correctly configured for my requirements, completely unobtrusive and very effective.

Noel
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Hi, >>>>>>> THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!! <<<<<<< You helped me removing the worst part of Windows 7 - the 'enhanced' Explorer. The one and only 'feature' of Win7 that made me install a dual-boot with XP for video cutting on my PC at home, the one why wanted to downgrade my new company laptop to XP (actually tried and didn't succeed due to missing drivers). Disabeling this for all Video types at home will save me (over some months) hours of time, saves my disk from Terabytes (Petabytes?) of unnecessary I/O - and my nerves from breakdown :-) To explain this: My PC is also my DVR's cutting station. I watch TV mostly by recording, cutting out all commercial breaks and then watch it sometime later. The Superbowl looks great without any breaks - just 2:48 of pure sports. >100 chunks in the cutlist, but absolutely worth the work. By the way: Here in Germany the number of commercial breaks in a film is limited by law, a typical episode film (NCIS, Leverage ...) cannot have more than two breaks, which is easy to cut - I wouldn't do that in America with breaks every other minute :-) A typical directory contains a day's recordings, which is (by the DVR hardware) split in about 10-50 video chunks with overall about 2-25 GB length. Whenever I change the directory, this caused re-reading the complete files in the directory - 5-60 sec dick ratteling. And since I usually cut by series, not by day, it means the Explorer always read some GB all the way through at every single directory change. To give you an impression, today's evening shows 25GB of read operations by the Explorer - after 1 hours of cutting working on 3 directories with overall 10GB, and I try to avoid directory changes at all costs, usually working with multiple Explorer windows instead. My record was more than 600GB read operations after one afternoon's work. To answer the question about 'indexing' before you ask it: My PC is only switched on when I work - conserve Energy. Switching on Indexing means either the indexing runs while I work (concurrent to a background video compression) or not at all. And concurrent I/O is, friendly spoken, not Microsoft's favorite disciplin. Working with one heavy I/O job in the background is bad enough :-) Even worse is this file scanning 'feature' on my company laptop, where I will disable it for most file types, at least for all Video formats, Image formats, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and PDF files - everything that is usually larger than a Megabyte. I often use a VPN into my company from that Laptop and sometimes tethered over my phone utilizing data roaming - so every byte costs money. So just changing a directory with that 'feature' can cost me several Euro for Explorer collecting information I never asked for. What I would really like to have is a checkbox in the Explorer settings 'Use only basic directory information', which makes the explorer utilize I-Node information only: Name, Size, Date. In 99.9x% of all cases this is all I need, and that is less than a kilobyte of information in a typical directory - fast & efficient, even across slow network connections. And from some hotel networks, the VPN can have <10kB/s. Talking about Explorer enhancements, another favorite checkbox would be: 'Keep your stupid fingers off my browser layout!!' or in more friendly words 'Do not change Explorer window layout based on directory contents'. Just leave everything as it is - the OS does not know what I want to do next, and typically is cruelly bad in guessing :-) Thanks again for that good advise, Andreas
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:29 PM
  • I-Node information only: Name, Size, Date. In 99.9x% of all cases this is all I need

Don't forget to turn off the useless "type" column after turning on "Show extension". Saves quite some space.

For your "depending on contents" view: There are 5 types, so it cannot happen that often as long as you don't hit the wrong button. So change it, use Alt key and then extras -> folder options -> View -> hit "apply for all folders". This will memorize it for that "folder type". Don't hit the reset button, that one resets for ALL folder types.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:09 AM