No programs appear in Block Program tabsheet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am unable to get a list of programs to block when I try to set Block Program settings for individual user profiles.

The screen shots as follows:

http://www.photoleech.com/images/1188893821_0istKO0oupMhiT7.jpg (larger image)

I waited for a long time but the screen kept showing "Loading Programs ..."

Does anyone know what the reason could be?

Could be it due to clash of restrictions with some Group Policy settings?

Regards,

Eddy

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 8:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Eddy,

Did this issue occur on other user profiles? Please check if a similar issue occurs when using the Add or Remove Programs component in Control Panel.

This issue can be related to the search process for executables (*.exe) and shortcut files (*.lnk) that point to executables in the following two folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

We can perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Clean Boot
    -------------------
    a. Click Start; go to Run, and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    b. Click the Services tab; check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). Select Windows SteadyState Service check box.

c. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.
    d. Restart the computer to check this issue again.

2. Check the permission settings on those two folders mentioned above. Make sure the administrators have default full control permission.

3. Rebuild the two folders
    -------------------
    a.  Copy all the shortcuts in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folders to other backup folders.

b.  Delete all the shortcuts from the two folders to check whether it works.
    c.  If this issue does not occur, we can move shortcuts from the backup folders back to the above two folders after we locate the root cause.

4. If all previous steps  do not work, please use FileMon to monitor the file access information.
    -------------------
    a. Download the tool from:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/filemon.mspx
    b. Start filemon, ;reproduce the issue and save the log file. You can check if there is any error, or send the log to me at v-shshao@microsoft.com

If there is any update, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 9:32 AM