can i assign public ip to my adsl modem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi can i assign public ip to my adsl modem which is provided by my ISP.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:01 PM

Answers

• Your ISP is probably assigning your ADSL a reserved pool ip from thier range of ip's.  In the past, I have seen DSL's for home use, be given a private pool ip which is not accessable from the internet, (your in a sense just like a computer on a private corp network) DLS's for business, they tend to be able to provide you with a publicly accessible IP address, you usually spend a couple more a month in service and then will have to install and manage your own firewall.  Best to contact your ISP and see what thier offerings are.
    :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Hiegel Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:58 PM

All replies

• Your ISP is probably assigning your ADSL a reserved pool ip from thier range of ip's.  In the past, I have seen DSL's for home use, be given a private pool ip which is not accessable from the internet, (your in a sense just like a computer on a private corp network) DLS's for business, they tend to be able to provide you with a publicly accessible IP address, you usually spend a couple more a month in service and then will have to install and manage your own firewall.  Best to contact your ISP and see what thier offerings are.
    :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Hiegel Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Hi thanks for response, My requirement is i wan to access my pc through internet ( from any where) either by using port forwarding or DMZ.

i have adsl modem & linksys wrt54gs wlan router then its connect to my pc.

as i checked in this condition i am using doubal NAT Means modem haing NTAT and linksys router also .

i got public ip from my isp . if  i will assign same to wlan linksys router & disabled moded NAT wil it work ?

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:05 AM
  • You will have to refer to your linksys documentation on that, generally, I have only done 3389 forwarding in the past so I coule rdp to my machine at home from work, when I don't use it, I disable the forwarder.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:22 PM