none
Workspace Project Custom Field Web Part on different Site Collection? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello experts,

    I'm working on a project site template in a SharePoint 2010 environment. My client wants project custom fields to be displayed on the Project Site homepage.

    To accomplish this, I'm using the Solution Starter's Workspace Project Custom Field Web Part. It works fine, as long as we create the project sites under the PWA site collection.

    However, due to administrative reasons, we've decided to provision all project sites under a separate Site Collection, in a separate content database. In this case, we manage to add the webpart to the page, but as soon as we try to edit it, to configure the visible Custom Fields, we get this error:

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Unhandled Communication Fault occurred

    • Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

      Exception Details: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Unhandled Communication Fault occurred

      Source Error:
      An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

      Stack Trace:
      [SoapException: Unhandled Communication Fault occurred]
         System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) +413241
         System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) +300
         WorkspaceProjectCFWP.WebSvcCustomFields.CustomFields.ReadCustomFieldsByEntity2(Guid entityUid) +181
         WorkspaceProjectCFWP.Services.<>c__DisplayClass12.<GetCustomFields>b__11() +158
         Microsoft.SharePoint.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2() +729
         Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) +26839062
         Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param) +27885657
         Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) +93
         WorkspaceProjectCFWP.Services.CustomFieldsService.GetCustomFields() +208
         WorkspaceProjectCFWP.Services.CustomFieldsService.GetAllProjectFields() +173
         WorkspaceProjectCFWP.ProjectCFEditorPart.SyncChanges() +325
         Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ToolPane.OnSelectedWebPartChanged(Object sender, WebPartEventArgs e) +283
         System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPartEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, WebPartEventArgs e) +0
         Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.BeginWebPartEditing(WebPart webPart) +96
         Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.ShowToolPaneIfNecessary() +579
         Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.OnPageInitComplete(Object sender, EventArgs e) +296
         System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
         System.Web.UI.Page.OnInitComplete(EventArgs e) +11146206
         System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1674
      


      Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.5472; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.5474 

    Now, I've activated every possible feature, both on the Site Collection and Site level (or SPSite, SPWeb). Alas, no succes. Which brings me to these questions:

    • What might be causing this error? Can this be solved?
    • Are there any cases of working webparts of this kind in site collections other than PWA?
    • If this is a technical limitation, what are alternative options for me to display custom fields on a project site?

    Link to the Solution Starters: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter

    Friday, February 7, 2014 10:15 AM

All replies

  • Hi

    I did not use this solution starter, but it might be that the webpart just looks for a Project Server instance in the current site collection - and there is none.

    You could use a SQL Reporting Services Report to show on the site to accomplish this. Either you would have to set the project as a parameter manually once for each site, or you could try to determine the project automatically using the URL.

    Kind regards

    Christoph


    Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

    Saturday, February 8, 2014 4:31 PM
  • I solved this by using a different web part: http://davidkvas.blogspot.be/2011/10/displaying-project-server-fields-in.html

    The only drawback is its inability to display Text fields using Lookup Table values, but there's an easy workaround by creating a Formula-based Text field referring to the original Text fields value.


    • Edited by DMachiels Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:50 PM
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:49 PM