none
Synchronization Failure for SQL Server 2008 Database RRS feed

• Question

• Folks,

I've been having an issue of late involving SQL Server 2008 and Data Protection Manager 2010 RC. I'm synchronizing a number of databases across a myriad of different machines save for one database. For this database, whenever a synchronization or express full backup is attempted, I get the following error:

Type: Recovery Point
    Description: The SQL Server 2008 Database <database name> on <server name> is not available. (ID 30164  Details: Internal Error code 0x80990D15)

We are using SQL Server 2008 x64 with Service Pack 1 (Version 10.0.2531.0) on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition. There are approximately 30 other databases besides this one that back up without any problems. I am using Windows Authentication and a backup service account that is a local administrator on the machine. I have done the following to try to determine what's going on:

1. Checked the database itself for availability. It is not in recovery mode, single user mode, restoring, or any other state.
    2. Checked user mappings in comparison to other databases I'm not having a problem with on the same machine. It all matches up.
    3. Checked NTFS file security permissions themselves to determine if there is a variance between this database's log file and MDF file as they relate to other databases.
    4. Checked user mapping in SQL Server to verify the users for the problem database are identical to the others that aren't having a problem.

I'm somewhat at a loss as to determine why one database on this one server is having a problem while many others on the same server are not. Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:06 PM

Answers

• I sort of reordered your suggestions into what could be done without downtime and your last suggestion worked. Removing only this one database from the protection group, saving changes to it, and then re-adding it fixes the problem.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:09 PM

All replies

• The error code 0x80990D15 = data base is missing.   Try restarting the SQL Server VSS Writer service on the protected machine and see if that fixes it.  If not, after hours, take the database offline and bring it back online, and try to run a CC.  Finally, Try removing just that database from DPM protection group, then re-protect it and see if that helps.

Regards

Mike J [MSFT] 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:56 PM
  • I sort of reordered your suggestions into what could be done without downtime and your last suggestion worked. Removing only this one database from the protection group, saving changes to it, and then re-adding it fixes the problem.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Unmarked as answer because it only temporarily fixes the problem. This may work for others as a long term solution, but in my specific scenario, the problem continues to occur, usually within a day or so of implementing the fix.

I'm not sure what else to look for here as everything seems normal. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the database, nor am I able to locate any variance between the one database versus the 30-some-odd other ones on the same server.

Friday, May 28, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Marked again as the answer as I eventually found the problem. Apparently one of my users renamed the database in SQL Server 2008 and, for some reason, the database was listed twice in DPM. The database that DPM was trying to back up actually didn't exist.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:20 PM