SteadyState and account ad-hoc. RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows XP Pro and I would like to create an ad hoc account like just I need.

I would like an account, that once the login has been performed, would be able to view only internet explorer widescreen with a preset page (example www.ansa,it), with no further buttons.

It must not have the possibility either to close internet explorer than to perform other operations.

It must have only the possibility to surf inside of the preset internet page, to print (CTRL+P) and to log off.

I already installed Steadystate, I am able to open internet explorer at the start (iexplorer.exe-k) on www.ansa.it, I am able to surf on the preset site only and to print, but I can close internet explorer and to perform other operations and I would like to delete those latter operations.

I look forward to your response

Thank's

Cristian
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Cristian,

Thank you for posting here!

Based on my experience, I am afraid that SteadyState cannot achieve all your requests. However, you may have interest in the following suggestions:

Closing IE issue

==========

As I know, there is a script (autorestart.vbs) which can restart a program automatically. This script was included in the previous version of SteadyState: Shared Computer Toolkit. However, to make it work with SteadyState, you may need to perform some steps. You can refer to the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2701626&SiteID=69

If you need related files, you can post back or send emails to me at v-shshao@microsoft.com

Perform other operations issue

==========

With SteadyState, we can enable the following restrictions:

User Settings\Windows Restrictions\Start Menu Restrictions\Prevent right-click in the Start menu

User Settings\Windows Restrictions\General Restrictions\ Prevent right-click in Windows Explorer

User Settings\Windows Restrictions\Hide Drives

We can also lock the user profile and turn on WDP. Thus, changes can be restored at log off & restart.

Some other suggestions:

--------------

To hide the Start button or System tray icons, you can try the following tool:

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

You can also refer to the following thread to hide the Notification Area:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1825750&SiteID=69

Hope the above information helps.

Best Regards,

Friday, February 1, 2008 3:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Cristian,

Thank you for posting here!

Based on my experience, I am afraid that SteadyState cannot achieve all your requests. However, you may have interest in the following suggestions:

Closing IE issue

==========

As I know, there is a script (autorestart.vbs) which can restart a program automatically. This script was included in the previous version of SteadyState: Shared Computer Toolkit. However, to make it work with SteadyState, you may need to perform some steps. You can refer to the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2701626&SiteID=69

If you need related files, you can post back or send emails to me at v-shshao@microsoft.com

Perform other operations issue

==========

With SteadyState, we can enable the following restrictions:

User Settings\Windows Restrictions\Start Menu Restrictions\Prevent right-click in the Start menu

User Settings\Windows Restrictions\General Restrictions\ Prevent right-click in Windows Explorer

User Settings\Windows Restrictions\Hide Drives

We can also lock the user profile and turn on WDP. Thus, changes can be restored at log off & restart.

Some other suggestions:

--------------

To hide the Start button or System tray icons, you can try the following tool:

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

You can also refer to the following thread to hide the Notification Area:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1825750&SiteID=69

Hope the above information helps.

Best Regards,

Friday, February 1, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Thank's
    But, steadystate in limited account, block the internet explorer add-ons.
    How do I enable it?

Monday, February 4, 2008 11:24 AM
  • Ok, i find it.
    But, How do to hide Automatic execution? and disable  alt+f4 (for close the windows)?

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:14 PM
  •  

The Automatic execution related files can be saved to drive C:\Windows. I think that's no need to hide them. If you do need to hide, you have hide the entire drive C from Windows Restrictions\Hide drives

As IE will be restarted after closing, disable alt+f4 may not be necessary either.

Regards,

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:38 AM
  •  snuffles wrote:
    Thank's
    But, steadystate in limited account, block the internet explorer add-ons.
    How do I enable it?

How can I enable the add-ons in a limited account?

Gr,

Johan

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:44 AM
  • 1. Click the user account -> Feature Restrictions.

2. Under Internet Explorer Restrictions ->Toolbar Options, make sure “Third Party Extension Buttons” is not selected.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:02 PM
  • How can I disable alt+f4?

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:59 PM
  • As I know, this shortcut key was hard coded in programs, which cannot be disabled.

Regards,

Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:05 AM