Sending from 2010 to 2003 - OWA vs Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I just deployed our first 2010 Exchange server and have run into issues. 

First, all mail from 2003 to 2010 seems to work with no issues.   However, going from 2010 to 2003 is not working...well, mostly.

So, nothing sent from Outlook works when going from 2010 to 2003.   You receive an immediate NDR with the following text:
    There's a problem with the recipient's mailbox. Please try resending this message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

However, when sending from 2010 to 2003 using 2010 OWA, it works fine.   Well, except when sending a meeting request with 2010 OWA.  If I send a meeting request to 2003 from 2010 OWA, I get the same message I get when sending any message from Outlook to 2003:
    There's a problem with the recipient's mailbox. Please try resending this message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Any thoughts?   Also, I can't send anything to the Internet from 2010, OWA or Outlook. 

The only relatively odd thing about this deployment is that the 2003 servers and the 2010 server are in different AD sites. 

Thanks,
    Pete
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:19 PM

Answers

• I resolved the issue.   The 9667 event was the key.    I created a new database on 2003 and could send there with no issues.   Apparently because the named properties had reached their quota limit, this prevents mailboxes on the affected database from receiving emails from an Outlook client using 2010 or an OWA client using 2010 when sending meeting requests.  

If anyone can explain why this causes this specific behavior or point me to an article that talks about this, that'd be great.    But again, the named properties reaching their quota limit on that DB was the issue.
    • Marked as answer by Pete Holmes Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:11 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:11 PM

All replies

• Do you find any clue in "Exchange Mail Flow Troubleshooter" available @ EMC -> Tools?

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:15 AM
  • It doesn't show any issues and I can see why.   2010 message tracking shows the message getting to the 2003 server and then that's as far as it can see.  2003 message tracking shows this for a message sent from an Outlook client using 2010:

SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing
    SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue
    SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer
    SMTP: Message Categorized and Queued for Routing
    SMTP: Message Queued for Local Delivery
    SMTP: Message Delivered Locally to 2003user@domain.com
    SMTP: Non-Delivered Report (NDR) Generated

The NDR is a 5.2.1 with the text I mentioned in my first post.  This would suggest something wrong with the recipient mailbox except that mailbox can receive mail from everywhere except an Outlook client using 2010 (and meeting requests from OWA 2010).   Here's the tracking results for a normal email from 2010 OWA:

SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing
    SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue
    SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer
    SMTP: Message Categorized and Queued for Routing
    SMTP: Message Queued for Local Delivery
    SMTP: Message Delivered Locally to 2003user@domain.com
    SMTP: SMTP Store Driver: Message Delivered Locally to Store to user@domain.com

I know this is going to be something simple but I can't think of anything that could cause this.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:57 PM
  • One more update.  I turned logging to max and these three events occur on the 2003 server every time I send a message from an Outlook client using 2010:

FIRST
    Event 9667:
    Failed to create a new named property for database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store" because the number of named properties reached the quota limit (8192).
    User attempting to create the named property: "SYSTEM"
    Named property GUID: 33eba41f-7aa8-422e-be7b-79e1a98e54b3
    Named property name/id: "ConversationIndexTrackingEx"

SECOND
    The following call : EcSetFileHandleProp to the store failed. Error code : -2147219200 (Message will be NDR'd). MDB : f71adf47-1d2b-43a1-9dfd-2e6a1b6081f9. FID : . MID : . File : E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue\NTFS_1d714e6601ca42b3000c26cd.EML.

THIRD
    A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.2.1 was generated for recipient rfc822;2003user@domain.com (Message-ID <441DCE2F0861754E86A46EADFE4FCF337445@2010server.domain.com>).
    Cause: Possible causes are 1) Local mail delivery was denied because the message size was too large 2)The recipientÆs mailbox has been disabled.
    Solution: Check access permissions for the recipientÆs mailbox as well as the message size. If the recipientÆs mailbox has been disabled, the recipient cannot receive mail; only mail-enabled account can receive mail.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:38 PM
  • I resolved the issue.   The 9667 event was the key.    I created a new database on 2003 and could send there with no issues.   Apparently because the named properties had reached their quota limit, this prevents mailboxes on the affected database from receiving emails from an Outlook client using 2010 or an OWA client using 2010 when sending meeting requests.  

If anyone can explain why this causes this specific behavior or point me to an article that talks about this, that'd be great.    But again, the named properties reaching their quota limit on that DB was the issue.
    • Marked as answer by Pete Holmes Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:11 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:11 PM